EBC Brakes

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
Yoda
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

EBC Brakes

Post by Yoda »

Fitted EBC Prolite disc brakes to front of my Exup last winter. Bike was off road for a while, so didn't ride it until spring of 2005 for long periods. Found discs to be a pain in the neck. Pads were seizing to discs in wet weather or after washing bike and leaving to stand. Spoke to EBC technician at the NEC bike show. "Send the discs back to us, and we will have a look at them." By now the discs were not too hot cosmetically, and they still had not seen much road salt. Jon Wright at EBC e-mailed me to say they were replacing the discs FOC. Opened box at work to find latest set of composite discs (wavey) and new pads as well. Work mates were well jealous. Still bedding in at this time, BUT what a DIFFERENCE. No issues at all. Salt no problem either. No more cleaning front end off after every ride. And they brake far more harder as well. Have R1 calipers fitted and these brakes are as good as most stuff these days. Definately recommended. :)
leo432green
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

discs

Post by leo432green »

welcome yoda. sounds like your new years starting well :nod:
if your exup valve`s rattlin, least you know its not seized....:)
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

Hey there Yoda, sounds like the force is with you. Sorry mate, couldn't resist. :D

I have EBC Prolites on my Ex with HH pads and I've had the same problem with the pads seizing to the disks after washing and then putting the bike straight into the garage. Guess it would probably do the trick just to ride it round the block after the wash just to heat them up and dry them off. . . 'course that's not gonna be much good when it's raining tho. :retard:
"Who was that masked man?"
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The guy at the bike show told me that this is a problem they are aware of.
It is something due to electrolysis occuring between the pads and the discs when wet. Ionisation occurs which basically rusts the pad to the disc. That is why they are even worse when there is salt around, as this speeds the process up. The new composite discs have more "steel" in them of a different grade to stop this. It has took a week of riding in the winter poo on the roads around here to even get the new set up to stick just once. And that was after a very wet day. If your brakes are not that old, contact EBC via their web site and ask for a replacement set. This does involve you having to send them your old pads and discs as well, but I found the improvement was worth the effort. Someone at work called me Yoda because I was shorter and wiser than him (grey hair included) and the name has stuck.
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

Yoda wrote:Someone at work called me Yoda because I was shorter and wiser than him (grey hair included) and the name has stuck.
Hey, nothing wrong with Yoda mate, he's one of my all time favourite muppets. :wink:
My nickname used to be Han Solo. . . ok, maybe I'm just dreaming there.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I don't mind Yoda, at least it's not Ja Ja Binks. My new boss has been compared to Count Ducor! :)
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

Yoda wrote:I don't mind Yoda, at least it's not Ja Ja Binks. My new boss has been compared to Count Ducor! :)
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow! :lol: :lol:
Gav
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Gav »

With EBC the company policy has also been to move to stainless steel discs which also improve the braking besides changing (increasing) the chemical potential in the electrolytic cell so reducing the stiction problem during long storage or during the winter period. Sintered pads are the worst for this due to the composition but you do also get the problem with semi met pads from some companies. Dont you just love being a chemist!!!! Not totally boring job as i get to invent and test my own brake pads :D
Give it some beans!!!!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Cool. I just get to try and blow up work collegues who p*ss me off. Only joking. Does help though sometimes with bike things.
Drew
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by Drew »

gav have ya got any of them test pads for a 90 exup left and a virago set

cheers love ya loads drew xxxxx

i know slavery bast---d
Meccanik and mot tester they taste great mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so sweet
Gav
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Gav »

for a what???? Virago???
if you give me make and model and year will see what i can put out my magic bottomless draw of experimental pads....... :ninja:
Give it some beans!!!!
leo432green
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

pads

Post by leo432green »

what are your test pads gav?
leo
if your exup valve`s rattlin, least you know its not seized....:)
Drew

Post by Drew »

my exup's a1989/90 r model and the virago is a 1100 on the K reg i use it to pump the water out of the pit in the garage :lol: :lol:
Meccanik and mot tester they taste great mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so sweet
Gav
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Gav »

Drew as the end of the test programme has er ended I have no official test pads on the go but i will be making a batch for me of 'specials' for the track this year so will see what i can do.... as for any others drop me an e-mail and say please and i will see what i can cook up.
Give it some beans!!!!