What fuel is better??

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
Mike1000
Technician
Technician

What fuel is better??

Post by Mike1000 »

After watching 5th gear the other night and because i have nothing better to do with my spaire time i thought id inform you chaps about Shell optimax......use it its bloody good stuff.

5th gear did a test to see what fuel was better.
Shell Optimax
Bp Ultimate
Normal unleaded

Shell optimax scored best for power and torque.

To be honest if i can help it all i use in my Ace is Optimax but if i cant find a Shell garage ill plop some Ultimate in it.
the diffrence between the 2 is noticable, Shell being the better i just seem to get a few extra miles when useing bp??!!
Back on an Ace after a 6 year absence!

Still got my ZX12R though - Facebook search Kawasaki zx12r owners club uk.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

better fuel

Post by creedxup »

The only vehicles that can benefit from the more expensive fuels are the ones that automatically adjust the fuel/air mixture and ignition timing to make the best power from the fuel used.

In the test the more basic engined car (can't remember what it was ) made the same power as before.
Whereas the impreza and golf gti had the ECU's reset and could then automatically increase their performance.

In our types of engine with set ignition timing and carbs, to notice any benefit the engine would have to be tuned to suit the fuel and that fuel would have to be used all the time.

You may find that through a quirk of your individual set-up it runs better on optimax or ultimate or whatever, but as a general rule with a standardish bike,no significant gains will be experienced by using the more expensive fuels.

chris
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
Drew
Considerably Faster than Yeow!
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by Drew »

think ya selves luck my impreza's super unleded only thats bp ultimate or optimax and at 1.05/ litre here its a un greased brown eye(shalfed)
Meccanik and mot tester they taste great mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so sweet