Naked pics [may not be safe for work]

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
monkey
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic
Location: Looking for Piggsy, Sandy & Tripitaka in the Herts/Beds area

Naked pics [may not be safe for work]

Post by monkey »

Naked R1 frolics in the early December sunshine... :lol:

took the opportunity over the weekend to tuck the R1 up for the winter, now the roads have been salted :rolleyes:

Removed all the bodywork, so I could properly clean the engine & all the bits that don't normally see the light of day.
Coated everything in lashings of FS365 & WD40 :rolleyes:

Drained the fuel tank and carbs & removed battery, to be charged up at home [no power at the garage, see]

Bike is now up on stands waiting for the Spring :crybaby:
Elemental forces caused the egg to hatch. From it came a stone monkey.

The nature of monkey was irrepressible!!
Neo
Gasbag
Gasbag

Post by Neo »

Its a long time for them cams to be compressing in one spot,waiting for Summer?
Not to mention the cylinders with the valves in the open position.
condestation seeps in and rusting occurs.
Dont want to worry anyone, But fire up at least once a fortnight :nod:
Neo :)
Whatever
barfly
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by barfly »

:eek: :lol: :lol:
Yoda
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Yoda »

Very true Neo. :nod: And run it for at least 15-20mins to warm it properly.
plodder

Post by plodder »

What do you do with spare engines?
Converted to pedal power. Now skinny as fook.
barfly
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by barfly »

Turn them over by hand :nod: regularly
monkey
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by monkey »

Neo wrote:Its a long time for them cams to be compressing in one spot,waiting for Summer?
Not to mention the cylinders with the valves in the open position.
condestation seeps in and rusting occurs.
Dont want to worry anyone, But fire up at least once a fortnight :nod:
Ta for the [very sound] advice.

before I store it I bag the airbox and bung the exhaust to try & stop condensation seeping in

and I start it up every few weeks just to keep it all sweet, & leave it to run up to temperature until the fan kicks in once or twice.

saying all that, a few years ago I was out of the country for six months. Had a Fazer600 at the time. drained the tank & carbs, disconnected the battery [no alarm] & left it covered on the centrestand with some blocks holding the front wheel off the floor.

on returning home, I reconnected the battery & put some petrol in the tank. It started after about 10 seconds & it ran like it had been used every day. It had sat in my garage completely untouched for 6 months.

God bless Japanese engineering :nod:

dave 59

Post by dave 59 »

i just take mine to bits and modificate :nod: :lol:
the older i get the faster i was
Neo
Gasbag
Gasbag

Post by Neo »

Draining the Oil is good Espesially used oil as together with condensation, produces acids that eat away at the bearing material if left for long periods of time.
When firing the bike up occasionally, Bring it up to full operating temperature,cook the oil in other words,this gets rid of any water molecules that collect in the oil and the inside of the engine.

its false policy to fire up just for a few mins. This produces steam which rots your engine from the inside out,Not to mention your headers and exup valve.
You will probabaly use a tankfull of petrol over the winter period,just keeping it in shape.
Better to use the gas than a fecked engine.
Oh,And slip it in gear and replenish the oil around the clutch plates,These tend to stick after a while without usage.
If you have to leave your bike over a long period,Squirt some oil down the bores,this prevents them from rusting.
And of course,Paddock stands are a must,sports tyres dont like contact with the ground for too long,they seem to degenerate in the one spot.
Whatever
monkey
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by monkey »

More wise words there Neo :nod:

yep true about keeping the tyres off the ground, but the only trouble with using paddock stands is that puts the suspension under compression

which is why I bought one of those Abba stands & a front lift. Actually I bought it to change the rear shock, also not something you can do using a paddock stand. but it's great for washing or storing the bike

definitely agree about firing it up for just a few minutes - this is the worst thing you can do! I let mine run until the fan has cut in at least once. twice if my neighbours ears will stand it :lol:

and I let it cool completely - usually overnight - before bunging the exhaust & putting a cover over the bike, otherwise you're just trapping loads of moisture inside :(

Neo
Gasbag
Gasbag

Post by Neo »

Very True.
I did think about decompressing the suspension and Obviously the stand that you have (Abba) is of course the sensible way to go.
my way out is a Front stand that fits through the hole in the steering head and two axle stands under the frame.
Exhaust side,I have to remove the fairing as there is not enough room for the stand to fit correctly.
I doesnt matter though,as I remove the fairings anyway to clean the engine and remove oil and grease from chain fling.
Also if I get caught out in the wet, I clean the headers and around the oil filter area.
I panic about the rear shocker as well, and although I have a hugger fitted, It still lets a bit of muck through.
Whatever
monkey
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by monkey »

Neo wrote:I panic about the rear shocker as well, and although I have a hugger fitted, It still lets a bit of muck through.
I know what you mean. The standard R1 hugger isn't much good as it doesn't extend below the swingarm, so the bottom of the shock & linkages are exposed.

I've fitted an NWS 'crap flap' but they're model specific & only for the R1 I think
Image Maybe it could be modded to fit? Pics above show it fitted.

otherwise, I have seen a few neoprene shock covers around. I think these started off on dirt bikes & quads but are making the transition to road bikes.

These seem to be quite good http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VSS

but there's loads of variants - do an ebay search on 'shock covers'

and if you're feeling really flash you can even get an ohlins one!
http://www.ohlins.nl/index.php?langID=1 ... =3&nsID=58
make people think you've got an ohlins shock....!
God only knows what they cost.... might have to get one though!