WHO RIDES EXUP'S AND WHY ?

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
bronx
Technician
Technician

WHO RIDES EXUP'S AND WHY ?

Post by bronx »

Hi, I was browsing Ebay's Yamaha bits pages when I stumbled across this site and what a great idea. I bought my first exup, an 89 model in loctite colours, in 91 and still have it, what a tool. I've fettled it over the year's, maxton suspension, blueprinted motor, thunderace crank and exhaust, plus loads of other bits and pieces. I bought a 96ru in 2000 because mine was 'smoking again' and did'nt like it to much, it seemed like a softer bike some how so I sold it to buy a gsxr1000k1 in 2002. While the gixer has moved the goal posts some what in the performance stakes my love affair with the exup remains as strong as ever. When I think back to the races and fast, fast, rides I've had over the years on the big yam I,ve got massive respect for it and mr yamaha for all the fun they've given me. There's no doubt the more modern tackle will blow you right off, but maximum respect to all exup's in whatever form, a very special bike.
So this brings me to my subject 'who rides exups and why?' Why do you like it?, Whats your biking history? Who are you? Also I'd be interested to know how many of you own more recent sports bikes but still own an exup?, my exup kind of looks at me (like the dog does when I put my coat on and he thinks he's coming out for a walk and I say, 'no get back in your bed') when I wheel my gixer out of the garage past the exup for a thrash. Of course its not the exup looking at me, its me looking at the exup, so if there's any one local to me in Durham who fancies a fast ride up weardale or teesdale on a classic jap bike when the weather gets better then lets get out there.
As a new member I dont really know what to expect from this site but it looks good to me and I'm well chuffed to have found it!. Sorry for talking the hind leg off a donky but I'm passionate about my exup.
PS any one see mr rossi's slick agostini replica paint work today in the moto gp nowt like go faster stripes on a yam. back to ebay, I might see iff I can find some panels to paint. :p regards to all, bronx.
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

Well what do you know. . . a coherent Ex rider. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding you lot.
Mighty fine to make your aquaintance Bronx, and welcome. Looks like the Ebay idea is still working, that'll be the umpteenth pint I owe Freak now then.

I'm actually quite happy you can talk the hind leg of a donkey mate, I really enjoyed your post, a little unfortunate that you mentioned the monkeyman though, but then you can't have it all your own way can you.
By the way, I'd keep it a bit hush about your Gixer around here mate. :paranoid: :lol:

Ok, to your point. . .
I bought my Ex back in 1991, second hand after the previous owner was daft enough to give it up after just six months, his loss. . . I was deeply into bikes back then and wandered into my fave dealer up there on that big old Westgate Hill, I'm sure you know it mate. The dealer being Ken's by the way, Jim saw me come in, told me he had the perfect bike for me, I sat on a total beast, jumped off, walked to the counter and asked where to sign. I haven't been interested in any other bike since, not as a replacement anyhoot.

Thank for you very generous compliments on the site mate, it's remarks like yours that really give me and the missus a big old buzz about this whole thing.

Well, that's me done, who's next?
"Who was that masked man?"
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

bazza wrote:So Rob, Jim jumps on you too :retard: i cant shake him off at times :paranoid:
He's a really great guy though mate, known him for yonks, and even if I haven't been in there for literally years he always comes right on over, he never forgets an ugly face I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drew
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by Drew »

jims like that with everyone he's like jeckle n hide in a slight waynice as nine pence but all he's after is ya money but did you knowhe didn't just work there as a sale's man he use to own the place his wifes dad left it to him now the hungary git sold it to m&s wots the hill coming to.

Back to the Wear Valley giz a shoot when I'm up for that but you's will have to take ya time I've never been over 40 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meccanik and mot tester they taste great mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so sweet
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

M&S owns every bloody thing on the Hill now! :ninja:
Gav
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Gav »

im fairly new to the exup group again joined because of the ebay add....I thought I would never buy a yam as for years had kawazakis then as the better half decided she wanted a decent pillion looked around and test rode a thundercat of all things loved it but 600 just not enough, so ended up buying a triumph speed triple of all things!!! Strange I know!!! But that ride on the thundercat and the thought of a thunderace stuck in my mind and so binned the triumph and bought myself an ace.
Its been reasonably looked after but not loved!! It allows me to have screaming fun to work and weekend rides and there is enough touring room for her on the back. Its the perfect blend for me of sports and touring and our tours are usually long ones......and once fettled it will be fun on the track too!!! Its a practical weapon! :)
Gav
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Gav »

forgot to say im well chuffed with finding this site and the associated reprobates!!!! The triumph group when i had one of those were a little judgemental of my basic skills of fixing and also mostly lived in other countries. Its good to see a home grown site where you can realistically ride with some of the like minded nutjobs :unibrow:
a welcoming bunch and very very helpful. im made up!!
Drew

Post by Drew »

arc do's live in another country its north of tha wata man
:lol: :lol:
Meccanik and mot tester they taste great mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so sweet
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
EXUP FREAK
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by EXUP FREAK »

i ride an exup cos err there in my blood its a love hate thing .now dont laf i had a lambretta before this exup :nod:
a mind of useless information espesially on sundays
1040EXUP
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by 1040EXUP »

yeah but he (EXUPFREAK) neglects to mention it was one bloody quick lamretta!

Si
Next stop 200mph
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Do you still have a parka :D
EXUP FREAK
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by EXUP FREAK »

no but i got a ma1 and a bald head m8 :finger: