bored...thought it'd

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
barfly
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by barfly »

plodder wrote:OK. Now this is coming from the person that cant be arsed to clean his bike, let alone polish it but Stig, come on, let's have a tutorial of how to do that polishing stuff :nod:
Nothing to it mate just take your time and prep it properly.

Don't overload the mops clean them regularly and don't press to hard on the surface you're trying to polish.

Dead easy really :D
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

as barfly says mostly in the prep.
make sure the previous cut isn't visible before moving on to the next finer grade.the rest will taker care of itself

You have to have a liking for BLACK SNOT :nod: :nod:
when I'm released from the workshop, there's a nice black coating of dust on me 'ed...looks like I've been underground at the pit for a month without a wash :D :lol: :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
barfly
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by barfly »

:lol: :lol: :lol: my missus thought I was a coal miner the last time I did a bike.

Don't forget to wear earplugs and eye protection because the soap can get everywhere and the constant droning of the drill is like her indoors complaining again :D
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

don't use the drill if I can help it
get one of these....bench grinder with a couple of pigtales and a variety of mops
knock up a foldaway stand and you're away :thumbsup:

PS...its not that clean now :crybaby:

AKA Bald headed b'stard
barfly
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by barfly »

Needs a polish mate :D
Neo
Gasbag
Gasbag

Post by Neo »

Fine job there Stig, I started on mine during the Summer but stopped on account of other chores.
Once I've finished messing around with my engine, Methinks I gotta carry on.
One Question, Are you going to do your forks?
I think that would complete the job,Or would it be overkill?
NeoImage
Whatever
Thunderacemalc
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Thunderacemalc »

gee stig ............. please please please can i leave my bike with you over the winter :lol: :lol: :lol:

it will come back so "polished" plus it will not be ridden as you have not yet come over to the dark side :lol: :lol: :lol:

please :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Aces rule............
Plastic Scouser
Site Photographer
Site Photographer

Post by Plastic Scouser »

Mine too!

I'm not using my 'Ace over Winter M8, so if you get bored and have the need to polish bike parts, just let me know :D
Exup/V-Boost? Tomato/Tomato? Same meat - Different gravy :)
All the same innit? It's still a yam :)
Thunderacemalc

Post by Thunderacemalc »

gee stig i think there might be a few others who want to take up your kind offer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Aces rule............
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Neo wrote:Fine job there Stig, ...One Question, Are you going to do your forks?
I think that would complete the job,Or would it be overkill?
I've been toying with the idea of the fork bottoms for a few months :nod: but like the rest of the mods already done, they'd have to be spare bits coz I keep all the original bits as std and change/alter the spares :retard: ...so I can put it back to std if needed

The top yolk isn't going on my ride tho'...its for ebay...to return funds to the communal pot so to speak. I bought a mixed bag of stuff, took the bits that i want and am then polishing the remainder up to recoup the initial investment and get my bits cheap :thumbsup:

AND thanks folks for all the offers of things to polish. If I feel the need, I'm sure I'll give a shout out...even the ACE owners might get a look-in :puke: :D
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Neo
Gasbag
Gasbag

Post by Neo »

I thought you would put the top yolk on your bike Stig.
Reason I say that is,Your bike is fast becoming (If not already) A Showbike.
It would be nice to see it at places like BMF and even the NEC.
Although I've only seen Photo's of it,Looks to me like it could be a winner in its class!
And the fact that you ride it as well makes it a shining example (No pun intended!)

Its hard to decide what to do in cases like this,I mean,Veering too far from standard is not always a good thing, But in these bikes, You are only improving on Mr. Yamaha's effort and bringing the bike to what it should have been in the first place.
Hiding nice rim's under paint and Rough cast levers for instance.
Having to polish and clean Doggies is a good thing,as you constantly keep a check on maintenance issues at the same time.
In my mind,your efforts have added value to your bike, Hope there's a skip somewhere with a pair of forks in need of attention.
NeoImage
Whatever
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Neo wrote:I thought you would put the top yolk on your bike Stig.
Reason I say that is,Your bike is fast becoming (If not already) A Showbike.
It would be nice to see it at places like BMF and even the NEC.
Although I've only seen Photo's of it,Looks to me like it could be a winner in its class!
And the fact that you ride it as well makes it a shining example (No pun intended!)

Its hard to decide what to do in cases like this,I mean,Veering too far from standard is not always a good thing, But in these bikes, You are only improving on Mr. Yamaha's effort and bringing the bike to what it should have been in the first place.
Hiding nice rim's under paint and Rough cast levers for instance.
Having to polish and clean Doggies is a good thing,as you constantly keep a check on maintenance issues at the same time.
In my mind,your efforts have added value to your bike, Hope there's a skip somewhere with a pair of forks in need of attention.
NeoImage
phew Neo...thats some compliment mate. The bikes never meant to be for 'show'.

Its just that from around the age of 7 when i got my brand spanking new Raleigh Chopper for xmas, my 'ole man said look after it....its the last you're gonna get.

That comment's really stuck through life. Folk spend mega bucks on new items (cars for instance) and them let them deteriorate. Me, I try to remember what made me want the item in the first place....why i liked it enough to buy.
If I can keep things looking as good as new for as long as possible ...then I'm a happy bunny :D ...plus it helps keep the value of such items as you'll appreciate

When I had my LC, I DID go mad and do loads of polishing. It got to the stage where I didn't want to get caught out in the rain coz of the work that'd entail re-cleaning it, so it never got used. The EXUP is used as & when i get a chance or feel the need ....and if it gets wet (hopefully not) then...at least it'll clean within a week or so :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

finally...might keep my eye out for a pair of forks :wink: time will tell :retard:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Sorry could only find one at mo. :D
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

ah...put a search into google for fork handles...that should sort it (two ronnies) :lol: :lol: :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D