730 mile trip thru Spain in 1 day, Long story

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
Thor
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

730 mile trip thru Spain in 1 day, Long story

Post by Thor »

Living in Spain for 5 years now and missing my bike I started to look for a new bike here in Spain, after looking for a while it soon became obvious that second hand bikes were overpriced and lacking choice.
I asked my brother in Cornwall to look out for something for me and he told me his old Ace was for sale as it had not been used for 4 years by its present owner.
Only 7500 miles on the clock and all the old MOTs I had to have it, transferred the money and arranged to get it fully serviced and MOTd in time for my wife and I to ride it to Spain 2 weeks later, after new brakes and fluid, oil and filters I was assured I had a great bike.
Arriving on the Thursday went straight to workshop and collected bike, smile from ear to ear, it looks great and rode like new.
Next morning got up and we rode 3 miles to the post office to tax the bike, pulling into the car park she cut out and would not start, went into post office and taxed the bike came out hey presto started 1st time.
Another 3-4 miles while up alongside a lorry she died again, did this for next 8 miles to mates/mechanics house, booked on the Sunday night ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff I was somewhat anxious, after some head scratching the breather was checked, no problem there, I pointed out that it felt like an ignition problem, disconnected all cut outs one by one, would get to about 90 on the temp gauge and cut out, 10 mins later start and run fine 90 degs cut out again. Mech told me to get hold of a CDI which I ordered from local breakers, arrived Saturday fitted it, still the same by now very pi***d off. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
Mech played around with it for a while and eventually gave up at which point (Monday morning) I called 2 wheel technics in Plymouth, said he would try to look on Monday so some hope of getting Wednesday ferry to Santander crept in, the new mech called me on Tuesday to say it was the pick up coil breaking down when hot, hurray hurray, only to be told Fowlers would need 6 to 10 days to get one. :angry:
Now my holiday at work was running out so got on the web and located one in the stoke area second hand this arrived at 4.00 pm on Thursday by 7.00 pm I was riding the bike the 40 miles back to Cornwall, all great, booked the Friday night ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao 200 mile ride to Port on Friday and a 36 hour ferry crossing. :puke:
Came off the ship around 09.00 quickly getting onto the motorway was amazed at how quick the kilometers were going by. Stopping for breakfast around Burgos I felt that we had a chance of doing the whole trip in 1 day, cruising at a very comfortable 90-100 mph we were soon riding through the middle of Madrid, after 300 miles plus was starting to get a sore arse as was the wife.
Our destination for the day had now become Ayamonte on the south Portuguese border, by the time we reached Seville we were down to 40 mile stints then stopping for a stretch and a drink.
We arrived at our destination at 10 pm very tired very sore and 730 miles later. The bike is fantastic and I only wish I had discovered the Ace sooner this is my 1st EXUP and will not be my last.
Sorry the story is so long and boring but thought someone might find it interesting
:D :D :D
nismo
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by nismo »

Sounds like a stressful time!! But at least you've now got an Ace!! :D Wouldn't fancy that mileage in one day though, hats off to you! Probably one of the better bikes to do it on though - that kind of distance on an R1 or something would be torture!!
Defected for that V Twin goodness
dave 59

Post by dave 59 »

good effort mate im shagged after 300 miles on mine wrist mainly could be the seat mods and doggies i,ve put on :nod:
the older i get the faster i was
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

good story mate, glad you got the ride sorted...even tho' its an ace :evil:

thats some milage by anyones standards....me....... I've had it by the end of the road :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
dave 59

Post by dave 59 »

yeah but only cos you have to stop and polish it :lol:
the older i get the faster i was
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:blush: :lol: :D
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Thunderacemalc

Post by Thunderacemalc »

Stig wrote:good story mate, glad you got the ride sorted...even tho' its an ace :evil:

thats some milage by anyones standards....me....... I've had it by the end of the road :lol:
stig ......... thor has just done your annual mileage in one day ......... me impressed .......... BIG TIME ......... an no moaning from his misses ........even more impressed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Aces rule............
Thunderacemalc

Post by Thunderacemalc »

very interesting thor ....... you did well to stay so cool :lol: :lol: :lol: and i'm amazed you managed that sort of mileage in a day ........ most i've done is about 500 and boy was i sore ..........

so far managed about 350 plus on my ace so i know it can be done ......... cheers for the write up :D
rf9rider

Post by rf9rider »

Posted in rogues gallery with no pics?

:worthless:
Thor
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Thor »

Thunderacemalc wrote:
Stig wrote:good story mate, glad you got the ride sorted...even tho' its an ace :evil:

stig ......... thor has just done your annual mileage in one day ......... me impressed .......... BIG TIME ......... an no moaning from his misses ........even more impressed :lol: :lol: :lol:
was the first time ever on a bike for the missus so was well impressed myself, got a few digs in the ribs to stop but i was ready for stopping anyway. :) :)
Glad you liked the story thought i would babble on a bit :snore:
Thor
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Thor »

rf9rider wrote:Posted in rogues gallery with no pics?

:worthless:
Sorry no pic of us :p but here's the bike 500 miles into journey. :)

This one's not for the gallery of members bikes. Will post a better one soon (when cleaned bike :thumbsup: ). :D
Thunderacemalc

Post by Thunderacemalc »

yeah yeah yeah ...........

lookie lookie its another BLACK thunder ACE

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

BLACK ACE RULES

:D :D :D :D
Thunderacemalc

Post by Thunderacemalc »

Thor welcome to the Black Ace clan :D
Plastic Scouser
Site Photographer
Site Photographer

Post by Plastic Scouser »

730 miles in a day?

No wonder your username is Thor

I'd have been bloody thor too if I'd have covered that mileage in a day!

For those that still don't get it, after that thort of milage I'd have had a thore arth! :D
Exup/V-Boost? Tomato/Tomato? Same meat - Different gravy :)
All the same innit? It's still a yam :)
Rutz

Post by Rutz »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The EXUP stickered zimmer frame is mine and I aint got no friends