BMW S1000RR Shock

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

BMW S1000RR Shock

Post by Tipper2 »

Evening All,

Just about to get my RU back on the road after about 3 years. I had the head off and did the valve guide oil seals earlier this year and re-built and re-sprung the forks just before it was laid-up due to lack of time.

Just looking at replacing the rear shock (again). I tried an MT07 one a few years back and it was worse than the one that came off.

Looking on Ebay and the S1000RR one looks like it'll go in. Just wondering if anyone had tried yet?
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

I put a first gen s1000rr shock on my fzs1000 and it woke it up big time. If a second gen(2015 model) could work i have one also, but it has some sort of travel indicator wire or something on it. The hole centers are different too.

The first gen shock is much firmer, and supposedly raises the bike. I have 1 givi case and it didnt change the height at all.

I did have to machine a couple spacers to make things just right.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Thanks for this👍

I'll have a look at gen 1 RR shocks, also seen a thread about fitting a Hyabusa shock so that's another possibilty.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

One other thing i forgot, when your parking the bike and its leaned over on the side stand, the second you take your weight off the bike it lifts multiple inches. Do it fast enough and the front wheel comes off the ground for a second.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

I extended my side-stand already so hopefully shouldn't be a problem.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Got an S1000rr 2015 shock on the way so will post results when it's fitted.
Tazzkiller
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Tazzkiller »

i take it you do not user the s1000r shocks with the wiring, there seem to be a lot of those on fleabay
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Tazzkiller wrote:i take it you do not user the s1000r shocks with the wiring, there seem to be a lot of those on fleabay
I think the hole centers are what makes them useless. They are just a tad too far apart for a fzs at least.

I got one for $22 on fleabay