Thunderace Carb emuslion tube question

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Tazzkiller
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Thunderace Carb emuslion tube question

Post by Tazzkiller »

Do thunderace's wear out the emulsion tubes like the exups?

mine has done 70k and the carbs engine running rough, no amount of balancing or air screw adjustment seems to help.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

If you are sure your motor, ignition and fuel delivery system to carbs is ok then the carbs will need at least a minor strip down. There are a number of points within the carbs including needles, emulsion tubes, jets, pilot screw setting and leakage and diaphragm splits. It would cost a bit and take a bit of time but unless you know which part is causing the issue your guess is as good as anyone else.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Forgot to add I changed the needles and emulsion tubes on my genesis after asking about carbs on here a while back. There was an improvement in the carbs so I am thinking downdraught carbs wear in this area but I did other work. I decided to change the tubes and needles after a visual inspection.
Well I'll be .....
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

The intake is the same to all intents & purposes as the earlier Exup-Rs but the 'O' rings between the intake rubbers & the cylinder head are the same that can & do split, allowing excess air to weaken the air/fuel ratio leading to uneven running.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/41 ... 0-a/intake

Even if they look ok, it's worth smearing something like Blue Hammerite on to the mating surfaces, just to be on the safe side.....

I had a problem with what I thought was down to the emulsion tubes on my Exup. Having fitted new ones, even though the originals looked ok, it didn't fix the situation. So I thought it was still a problem with the carbs, so I replaced the strange shaped seal that goes between the carb body & the jet holder, but it still had the same problem.

In the end I looked more closely at the silicone leads & OEM plug caps from the high output Dyna coils to the DR8EV plugs. I replaced the leads with copper core stuff from M&P & the OEM plug caps with new NGK ones, having removed the internal resistive element....& wham, suddenly I have full power again, with a decent tickover & good pickup on the throttle above 4k. It transpired that the original plug caps were expanding with engine heat & the enhanced spark energy was leaking out to the cylinder head via the molding seam.

While looking up the fiche for the T/Ace I noticed that the inlet manifolds are different to the earlier Exups in that there's a vacuum takeoff for the balance gauges, similar to the Morgan Carbtune kit that I now have fitted to my R1 & Exup. Yamaha must have listened to the painful shreeks of countless bike mechanics attempting to remove & reinstall the small blanking plugs on the earlier bikes.....
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Tazzkiller
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Tazzkiller »

YAMAEXUP wrote:The intake is the same to all intents & purposes as the earlier Exup-Rs but the 'O' rings between the intake rubbers & the cylinder head are the same that can & do split, allowing excess air to weaken the air/fuel ratio leading to uneven running.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/41 ... 0-a/intake

Even if they look ok, it's worth smearing something like Blue Hammerite on to the mating surfaces, just to be on the safe side.....

I had a problem with what I thought was down to the emulsion tubes on my Exup. Having fitted new ones, even though the originals looked ok, it didn't fix the situation. So I thought it was still a problem with the carbs, so I replaced the strange shaped seal that goes between the carb body & the jet holder, but it still had the same problem.

In the end I looked more closely at the silicone leads & OEM plug caps from the high output Dyna coils to the DR8EV plugs. I replaced the leads with copper core stuff from M&P & the OEM plug caps with new NGK ones, having removed the internal resistive element....& wham, suddenly I have full power again, with a decent tickover & good pickup on the throttle above 4k. It transpired that the original plug caps were expanding with engine heat & the enhanced spark energy was leaking out to the cylinder head via the molding seam.

While looking up the fiche for the T/Ace I noticed that the inlet manifolds are different to the earlier Exups in that there's a vacuum takeoff for the balance gauges, similar to the Morgan Carbtune kit that I now have fitted to my R1 & Exup. Yamaha must have listened to the painful shreeks of countless bike mechanics attempting to remove & reinstall the small blanking plugs on the earlier bikes.....
they are good idea, apart from the yamaha tube plugs, they corrode like crazy.
Tazzkiller
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Tazzkiller »

i'll tear them down at the weekend, it's getting almost un-rideable. The clutch slave cylinder has just given up as well. it's almost like it's telling me something.