A few updates.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

A few updates.

Post by nuggitt »

I'm looking to update my front brake reservoir and also my clutch one too.

Without embarrassing myself. Would a clutch M/C and reservoir from a YZF750 work on my exup? Are they all a standard fitment?

I've already bought the front brake M/C from an R6, but it didn't come with a reservoir. I'm on the hunt for one of those, and I'm hoping to go for the smaller reservoir. if I can find one that will do the job. :nod:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
odie
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by odie »

They should all the handlebar and brake lines but. Check the bore size of the master cylinder (its normally cast on the underside of the main body) it will be either imperial or metric.
I have been using a 19mm bore brembo master cylinder with blue spot calipers from an 03 R6 and that's a significant improvement in power and feel.
Don't go smaller than standard as you run the risk of not having enough braking force when you really need it. The bore size makes a big difference as the pressure is dependent on the area of the bore and this is squared the radius of the bore times pi.
Not as fast as i like to think i used to be
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Thanks for the extra photos Chris. I do like those black reservoirs. They look very classy. Like you say cheap as chips. Looking at your mounting brackets please tell me that's not a 12mm socket fixed to the top yolk? :lol: :lol:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I've been using a ZXR750R clutch master for many years now but only recently changed to a radial front brake master from a Triumph, using the same small reservoirs as in the pic. I don't see the point in carrying so much spare hydraulic fluid, hence the smallest I could find.

I rode to the south of frogland on the R1 back in '14 & hardly used any fluid at all, despite riding no motorways. The Brembo brake master on that bike also has a tiny reservoir.

I've been to the Bol at Paul Ricard three times on the Exup-R & hardly used any brake fluid.

I have read the discussion on the yamahar.co.uk forum where someone said that large amounts of fluid needs to be carried because of the sweep of the lever, but as far as I can see it only takes up the wear of the pads.

Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Thanks for the photos. The small reservoir you have was going to be my first option until I saw those from creedxup. They are all food for thought. 👍