Loose play in swingarm.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
mobil1
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Loose play in swingarm.

Post by mobil1 »

Hi Gang.

I've a problem I think. When I've got the rear wheel off the ground I can lift the swingarm by about 5mm.

Is this natural or the suspension needs a set up? Or bearings?

I've had it all apart and checked things out and have also fitted a zx12r shock in. It's doing the same as with the new shock as it did with the old.

Help!! Pretty please.
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Either a bushing or bearing gone bad. Start cycling the arm and find where movement stops. Usually the pivot at the frame but sometimes the bushing where the dogbones connect.

You might need another set of eyes to pinpoint it.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
mobil1

Post by mobil1 »

I found the issue. I hadn't torqued one of the dog bones up tight. Either the bolt or the nut seem to jump back a thread.
Luckily I had a spare bolt from a scrapper. All good now.

Cheers for the info tho. That will come in handy for sure at a later time. :thumbsup:
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

I had the exact thing happen on my fz1(fazer) when i put a bmw shock on, it got hung up on the start of the major diameter. I thought i was stretching the bolt out when torquing it, and then it went pop and it tightened up.

Motorcycle engineering if far better and tighter than average car engineering.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.