Nightmare Nipples

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Nightmare Nipples

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi All. I am having problems with my bleeding nipples ( the ones on the motorbike hydraulic systems ). I have a small leak at the bleed nipple on my clutch slave cylinder. I have fitted a new nipple and tightened as much as I really want to and yet still it remains. Has anyone any solutions before I take the slave and brake calipers to an engineer to have the base of the nipple holes dressed. My home equipment isn't great (drill not engineer quality and no engineering tools - my drill bits and bores are good quality). Any ideas would be appreciated.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Thanks for the info. Chris. I was using non genuine - I will be looking in to that. Another solution I was looking at was a replacement kit by a company called Welzh Werkzeug. A seller has items that state m8/m5 but that was all it said. So I asked for info. and he couldn't tell me the outer thread diameter and pitch ???? He sent some pictures next to a rule and it looks like an m10, so I am currently waiting to hear if the pictures where of the correct units. I phoned Welzh Werkzeug themselves and they didn't have the information!!! I couldn't believe it. I am hoping to get answers somehow (I am looking into contacting the parent company abroad). If these units are of the correct size and pitch it is a perfect solution to this problem as it provides a new seat for the nipple and the nipple itself.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I had a problem with leaking nipples 😳 quite a few years back. At the time we had a member (Fang) who was doing a project bike build he too came across this seating fluid problem. He bought some stainless steel nipples 😳 and made tool which enabled him to get a sharper taper on the nipple which cured it. I was cheeky enough to ask him if I could send him 3 stainless nipples 😳 to his address so he could do them for me which he did. What a true gent. 😁👍
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.