Front brakes

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
odie
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Front brakes

Post by odie »

Thinking of blue spots from an R1 on me RU, cause they are cheaper than seals and pistons. Any suggestions for a better (more modern) master cylinder pairing.
Not as fast as i like to think i used to be
Gord
Test Rider
Test Rider

Re: Front brakes

Post by Gord »

odie wrote:Thinking of blue spots from an R1 on me RU, cause they are cheaper than seals and pistons. Any suggestions for a better (more modern) master cylinder pairing.
I've had blue spots and the MC from a 2005 R1 on my YZF750 for about 8yrs and they work perfect together. I just bleed them each year, which doesn't take long.
Rob1000exup5555
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rob1000exup5555 »

Been looking myself and ive noticed thay yamaha mt bikes run the blue spots too all tho im not sure if they are the 100mm centres but i wouldnt of thought yamaha would spend more moneybon developing another caliper when they have a perfectly good one from the R1....
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I've had a pair of YZF750R 6 piston calipers on my Exup-R for years now, together with Ferodo Supersport pads, Aeroquip hoses & a more recently fitted radial m/c from a Triumph, with much smaller reservoirs so that it's easier to see the gauges.

Many years ago I found out that the standard calipers caused the front pads to drag on the discs. In the end I worked it out that the pistons were too big for the bores of the calipers, but in the meantime, with the YZF calipers fitted, I went faster because the brakes wern't dragging, I got better fuel consumption & the pads lasted longer. So, having enlarged the holes where the caliper pistons fit with a hone, the pistons in the OEM calipers work perfectly on my FJ1200, fed by a CBR1000F master cylinder with HEL lines.

On my 5JJ R1 I have the OEM blue spot caliper bodies with the pistons from a set of fire damaged gold spots. There's negligible difference on the road, but with a Brembo master cylinder & Aeroquip hoses I can brake heavily with just the middle finger...two if necessary, & get good braking force.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
odie
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by odie »

Cheers Folks i will give the r1 master cylinder a go as they are readily available and cheap.
(want to keep a lockeed MC for another project) thanks for the info
Rob1000exup5555
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rob1000exup5555 »

YAMAEXUP wrote:I've had a pair of YZF750R 6 piston calipers on my Exup-R for years now, together with Ferodo Supersport pads, Aeroquip hoses & a more recently fitted radial m/c from a Triumph, with much smaller reservoirs so that it's easier to see the gauges.

Many years ago I found out that the standard calipers caused the front pads to drag on the discs. In the end I worked it out that the pistons were too big for the bores of the calipers, but in the meantime, with the YZF calipers fitted, I went faster because the brakes wern't dragging, I got better fuel consumption & the pads lasted longer. So, having enlarged the holes where the caliper pistons fit with a hone, the pistons in the OEM calipers work perfectly on my FJ1200, fed by a CBR1000F master cylinder with HEL lines.

On my 5JJ R1 I have the OEM blue spot caliper bodies with the pistons from a set of fire damaged gold spots. There's negligible difference on the road, but with a Brembo master cylinder & Aeroquip hoses I can brake heavily with just the middle finger...two if necessary, & get good braking force.
I have just come to more or less the same conclusion that the std calipers are not retracting properly and keep binding on the discs.

I have a set of blue spots on the way and a set of new discs, i know ill need another mc which mc did you end up going with?
odie
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by odie »

Quick update

Fitted blue spots (from a , and found a cheapish 19 bore radial brembo master cylinder.
Needed to fit a goodridge hydraulic switch for the brake light
Also used a hel 90 deg fitting so you could use your standard fittings or I usedG oodridge buildaline kits
2x 675mm (could use 650 but i was just making sure i could change if needed)
3x straight banjo
1x20deg banjo

plenty of feel and a big improvement in the standard brakes
[/img]
odie
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by odie »

forgot to say blue spots came from a 03 R6 5SL model