EXUP Petrol

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

EXUP Petrol

Post by oldskoolexup »

According to the GOV website, "All Yamaha models from Model Year 1990 are compatible with E10" fuel.........Has anyone had any issues with E5 fuels or are you using super unleaded?????
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

i just put standard unleaded in my Thunderace. i will put premium in if im not going to be using the bike for a while, as i understand it keeps better.
1996 thunderace
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Always ran mine on regular unleaded. No issues ( if it ever gets used)
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I use regular unleaded, but I do fill the tank up twice within the biking season with shell V power.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I was looking at fuel octane ratings a while back. In the manual I have (yes it is a Haynes ) it states fuel grade for all years UK bikes was regular and 1989 on US was unleaded ( The service info. manual from this site also states that for my bike - genesis). Taking regular to mean old 4 star I found that the minimum octane was 97 but was usually 98. Standard unleaded is 95. What with higher octane being more resistant to pre ignition it made sense for me to use super as it is minimum 97. For "the" answer to your question I would look at the service info from here and see what it says, regular or unleaded, that should tell you which one is closer to the fuel it was designed to run on.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Sorry, I posted before realizing what you meant regarding the new fuel grade. For my bike (87 ) I have found that I need to use E5. I was told that the added renewable source ethanol in E10 does not make it really any different to standard unleaded. So if the info for your bike says unleaded, E10 should be ok.
Well I'll be .....
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

There's been a big debate on many forums about E5 & E10. I've been using super unleaded in my R1 & Exup for many years after riding in frogland & experiencing cr@p petrol. The ordinary unleaded caused the engine to run badly so I tried the super & there was an immediate difference. In my mind it's worth the extra few pennies to keep our engines running as they should.

At my local Esso garage yesterday the E5 sticker on the super trigger said 98 Ron, whereas the E10 ordinary said 95 Ron. The local Shell garage says their super was 97 Ron.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk