spark plug caps Thunderace.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

i heard you the first time :D
1996 thunderace
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Oops, not too sure what happened there 😆
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

I swapped the originals for NGKs
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

I swapped mine for NGKs too, but am planning on doing the CBR 600 stick coils conversion at some stage
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

jcr, I've been in touch with Jay762 and he'll be long in a bit.

Here's a few photos of the stick coils I've fitted.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

thank you for the info. that all looks a bit complicated to me to be honest. hopefully the NGK caps ive ordered will solve my problem.
1996 thunderace
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It looks a bit of a mish mash, but if I can do it well anybody can. It was easier than I thought. Just take your time and double check the colours of the wires before soldering.

If you fancy it in the future use version 2. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

a reviewer on the mcn site recommended something called dynacoils as an upgrade. was he talking gibberish?
1996 thunderace
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

No not really. I had dynacoils fitted on my Yamaha FZ750. They give a better stronger spark. Not cheap mind. 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253140319906
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

jcr wrote:thank you for the info. that all looks a bit complicated to me to be honest. hopefully the NGK caps ive ordered will solve my problem.
Its pretty straight forward - take your time, have a few brews when the weather is rubbish and it comes together - dont know what part of the world you are in as more than happy to lend a hand?
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

Jay762 wrote:
jcr wrote:thank you for the info. that all looks a bit complicated to me to be honest. hopefully the NGK caps ive ordered will solve my problem.
Its pretty straight forward - take your time, have a few brews when the weather is rubbish and it comes together - dont know what part of the world you are in as more than happy to lend a hand?
thats very kind of you, will see how the new caps go first.
1996 thunderace
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

the new caps were about 10mm shorter than the originals unfortunately. i fitted them and the running improved, but its still bad.

heres the story so far-

1. put new spark plugs in. bike barely starts, constant misfire and cuts out when off throttle.

2. check coils, find plug caps badly corroded inside and not gripping spark plugs.
clean as best as i can and reassemble. bike still rough and misfiring but noticeably better.

3. fit new caps. bike starts and runs keenly on choke like it should. unfortunately get a misfire when revving and bike stalls when choke turned fully off.

things to note... the gaps on old plugs when i took them out were well over 2mm, Haynes state 0.6-0.7mm.
the gaps on the new plugs needed quite a bit of adjusting too, i thought theyed be preset by NGK?

also the new plug caps wouldnt fully tighten when screwed onto the ht leads, they just kept twisting.

will try putting the old plugs back in next just to make sure its not faulty plugs, or that im completely incompitent with a feeler guage.
1996 thunderace
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

These are the plug caps I used. Perfect fit, and they screw onto the HT lead very easy, unlike the original caps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114734481193
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

had another play today, the bikes now running properly.

it was my incompetence that caused the problem.

the plugs come preset by NGK. i misread the feeler gauge and set the gap to 0.2mm.

set the gap to 0.6mm and bikes running properly.

i am now a happy bunny.

thanks for all the help folks

just need some good weather now so i can go out and play.
1996 thunderace
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

NickZT wrote:These are the plug caps I used. Perfect fit, and they screw onto the HT lead very easy, unlike the original caps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114734481193
i wish id have got these rather than the angled plugs i picked up. they look a lot easier to get on and off.
1996 thunderace