Clutch cover oil leak

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi Nuggit, did you use any form of gasket sealer?
Well I'll be .....
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The VERY small amount of twist possible by undoing it wrong must be rediculously small. The thickness of the gasket compressing should be able compensate imho
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I fitted a new clutch recently. When refitting the cover I used blue hylomar applied very thin and evenly. I remember thinking about the area of the cover Nuggit is having problems near - because it is next to the crankcase joints and is a fairly wide flat piece on the cover I felt that using the sealent would prevent any leak due to tiny imperfections. I have always used hylomar anyway unless the manufacturer says do not. Also I have checked the torque on the bolts 3 times since the refit.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Sorry I left out that I did a very close inspection of the cover and crankcase for issues, none found but I still used the sealant because to be honest I didn't trust the crankcase joint for 100% accuracy and never have.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've got the gasket and sealant delivered today, so I'll be having another go at it maybe tomorrow. :D :thumbsup:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Cheers Chris.

I've got the cover off and this is what I've come across. If that's causing the oil leak, then we are in a mess? See photo 3. The two dowels look ok all the surfaces are flat and clean.

What gets me is, when I had the old cover on there wasn't any leaks.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Looking at photo 2 it is that crankcase joint that I feel is always a weak point in sealing. If you were to place a straight edge across that joint I am willing to bet you will find a vey small discrepancy, under heat and pressure that is accentuated.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I did a dry fit and it all seems nice and snug. Sealant applied and I let it evaporate (as the instructions state) then fitted the new gasket. I applied some sealant where the problem was and fitted the cover back on. Nipped everything up in a criss-cross pattern. It doesn't say how long it takes the sealant to go off, so I'll wait till tomorrow and start her up to see how it goes. I'll let you know. :nod:

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

All back to normal now, and I've got a dry finger again. :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help lads. :thumbsup: