Need to confirm the model/year/build date for 3LE

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Jamolo
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Need to confirm the model/year/build date for 3LE

Post by Jamolo »

Hi,

I have an FZR1000 EXUP with VIN 3LE-010172.

I know that it is a 1990 German model but I'd need to find some evidence to confirm that.
I'm applying for a registration as a historical vehicle in Finland and I'd need to be able show it to the inspectors.

The 1st registration of the bike has taken place in June 1991 so that messes things up a bit and is not helpful here.

Is there e.g. a site that lists the VIN and the year of manufacture? That woud be enoug for this purpose. A actual date of build would be even better!

I have not had any luck in finding that...

Thanks in advance!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Over here I would contact Yamaha UK first. Do you have a main dealer or similar?
Could a parts department put you VIN number into their system and it show manufacturing details?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

In the tech section, if you download the service manual it states on page 13 that 3LE is the designation for country D (Deutschland)

1989 models had frame numbers starting 3LE - 000101

On page 418 it states the 1990 models for Germany had frame numbers starting 3LE - 009101

This should be proof enough that yours is a 1990 German bike
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Post or PM your vin and I'll see what I can find. I've done it with my car.
Keep on keepin' on.
Nicoxj
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Nicoxj »

Hi,

The first thing is to check the specifics of this model: headlamps (2 round headlights), fairing (the air intakes, ...), the reserve switch, the fork and possible ajustments, ...

From the 1st point (headlamps), you will immediately see if it is a 1989/1990 model or not.

From the fork ajustments, you should be able to narrow to a 1989 or 1990 model.

The VIN rightly suggests it is a 1990 model though.