Antifreeze mystery

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Cheers Chris. :thumbsup: I've just been to have a look and yes the overflow pipe is nearly touching the bottom of the reservoir tank. All sorted now. :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

👍
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
dieselmech_pt
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by dieselmech_pt »

The idea of the expansion tank is that when the coolant gets hot it pushes excess fluid into the expansion tank and when the engine cools down again it sucks the liquid back again, if the tube only just enters the tank this will not happen. What I will say is that some people top up the radiator right to the top, which isn't correct, it needs to be below that level, normally I like to fill mine half way between the top of the cores inside the radiator and the filler neck. If like you say after it blows the coolant out but never again until you top up again I would say that is the correct level for the coolant and you should leave it like that.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I think you will find they are talking about the overflow pipe. Expanding fluid is channelled via the lower tube. If you have your overflow pipe in the fluid it will obviously eject said fluid as it expands, so make sure your overflow pipe is near the top of the tank and not in the fluid.
Well I'll be .....