Thunderace Project

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Looking forward to this. Do like a project 👍

Keep us updated
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by YZF1000R-SPRINT »

I will :)
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider

So I've been trying to do a bit of research into turbos to understand the problems of fitting one to a normally aspirated engine.

It seems that the following main items would be affected :-
Oil
Air
Temp
Compression Ratio

So as you guys probably already knew, this isn't case of just buying a turbo, fitting and away you go.

1.] The turbo needs an oil feed and it will also raise the temp of the oil before it returns it to the engine so this would need to cooled down, I would need more oil in the engine and I would have to consider oil starvation to the rest of the engine as the turbo would use a certain qty of oil itself
2,] The Air pressure will be affected in the carbs and this has something to with Atmospheric air pressure, ie petrol wont flow if the pressure is the same as outside
3.] The overall temp of the engine will also raise due to the hot exhaust gases etc.
4.] The Compression Ratio needs to be reduced

Then I would need to decide where and how to position the turbo
How to get the air into the carbs

I'll do some more research :-)
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider

Oh yes I will cheers
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

I have been building a turbo bike based on an Xj600 since April. I bought a bike in bits and thought id build something more interesting

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO ... ycFZIBxX23

The turbo manifold was mig/inverter welded - DD's stuff is all tig, which i need to learn. The turbo - a TD04L - was matched to the XJ's NA power output, although I am going to change the wastegate actuator and lower the pressure (10psi down to 7 psi). I actually think it might be a bit laggy, but we will see.

Lowered the compression using 2 base gaskets. The standard compression ratio is 10:1, this brings it down to about 9.45:1, which is fine with 7psi.

Added other stuff like an egt probe.

Did experiment with pressurising the carb float bowls. The float valve couldnt cope with a few psi (think rising rate) and i spent a few months on and off fiddling with that. In the end i made up some throttle bodies, based on some FZ6 units (respaced with modified fuel rail) and with 3d printed throttle body to inlet manifold adapters - coated in resin (im a bit of a resin guru sometimes). To control it, ive built a speeduino, which ive bench tested, although some borrowed by sig gen and never gave it back, so i havent done all the checks on it. A generic bosch-style fuel pump and adjustable regulator are mounted up to feed the fuel rail.

The last few months ive done bits, but havent been as motivated as i should be. Due to the drain on the turbo being lower than id like i fitted a scavenge pump. This is on welded bracket below the frame.

Loads to do, but faffing, will be doing more when the weather warms up again - if im not out riding the Niken or NC.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

pilninggas wrote:I have been building a turbo bike based on an Xj600 since April. I bought a bike in bits and thought id build something more interesting

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO ... ycFZIBxX23

The turbo manifold was mig/inverter welded - DD's stuff is all tig, which i need to learn. The turbo - a TD04L - was matched to the XJ's NA power output, although I am going to change the wastegate actuator and lower the pressure (10psi down to 7 psi). I actually think it might be a bit laggy, but we will see.

Lowered the compression using 2 base gaskets. The standard compression ratio is 10:1, this brings it down to about 9.45:1, which is fine with 7psi.

Added other stuff like an egt probe.

Did experiment with pressurising the carb float bowls. The float valve couldnt cope with a few psi (think rising rate) and i spent a few months on and off fiddling with that. In the end i made up some throttle bodies, based on some FZ6 units (respaced with modified fuel rail) and with 3d printed throttle body to inlet manifold adapters - coated in resin (im a bit of a resin guru sometimes). To control it, ive built a speeduino, which ive bench tested, although some borrowed by sig gen and never gave it back, so i havent done all the checks on it. A generic bosch-style fuel pump and adjustable regulator are mounted up to feed the fuel rail.

The last few months ive done bits, but havent been as motivated as i should be. Due to the drain on the turbo being lower than id like i fitted a scavenge pump. This is on welded bracket below the frame.

Loads to do, but faffing, will be doing more when the weather warms up again - if im not out riding the Niken or NC.
working link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1CmAdUB5SCerHHa7
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider

Wow still lots to do.
Is the blue pipework the finished product or is that a mock up to see how it fits?
I've been trying to see if I can get an oil cooler that fits the Thunderace, first choice is the FZR1000 Exup one but I just cant make out from any pics if the oil hose mounting points on the engine are the same.
Then I was thinking how would I fit all this inside the fairing.
Also your exhaust manifold, I noticed that it looks sort of parallel across the engine IE no fancy pipes, do the pipes have to be fancy or just plain straight ones direct to the turbo
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

YZF1000R-SPRINT wrote:Wow still lots to do.
Is the blue pipework the finished product or is that a mock up to see how it fits?
I've been trying to see if I can get an oil cooler that fits the Thunderace, first choice is the FZR1000 Exup one but I just cant make out from any pics if the oil hose mounting points on the engine are the same.
Then I was thinking how would I fit all this inside the fairing.
Also your exhaust manifold, I noticed that it looks sort of parallel across the engine IE no fancy pipes, do the pipes have to be fancy or just plain straight ones direct to the turbo
The blue air feedpipe is pretty much in the right location - it runs from the outlet of the compressor side to a plenum up at the throttle bodies - incidentally i think the thunderace carbs will pressurise fine, so you wont have these issues.

Ideally the manifold should be branched with smooth mergining, but doing so would have put the turbo far too low. This set up is called a log manifold. Ultimately turbos thermodynamically rely on pressure drop, not flow rate, so having the turbo as close to the valves is king (hence why new cars have turbos hanging off of the head) and why downstream should be as close to atmospheric as possible. Of course a less efficient flow is far from ideal, and ultimately via a few mechanism relating to cylinder emptying could induce knock at lower boost pressures (read dynamic cylinder pressure) and in general lowers boost power by a couple of %.

As it is just a side project, im less worried about these things and have time to play.

If someone (DD?) can supply you with the exhaust-turbo manifold, and maybe even a plenum, then that is the hard part of any turbo project. Setup and reliability can be a big element too.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Try sending of Kurt Boehringer a PM. He could maybe help out with it. He sends me stuff every now and again. 👍
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider

Hmm, a few options to consider.
I'll do some measuring when I get the used yzf250f piston and see if everything is the same
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider

I've done some measurements about the YZ250 and Thunderace piston and here are my findings :-(
http://www.yzf1000r.co.uk/archive/20210221.html