No spark on 1 & 4

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Ok, I think I'd be looking at the loom again. Off the top of my head, the wires to 1&4 coil will be grey & red/white? I would run a temporary wire from the grey at the TCI (CDI) plug onto 1&4 coil, and then pick up the red/white straight from 2&3 coil as a test.

The ignition wiring from the pickup to the TCI to the coils is very simple, where you've tested or swapped pretty-much every component that would cause your problem.

The other thing you could try (and hear me out here) is to unplug the tacho. Although it takes its signal from the TCI it's probably linked directly from a coil output internally, and looking at the wire colour (grey) I would suspect it comes from coil 1&4. If there's a problem with the tacho it could pull down the output to the coil.
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

Coose wrote:Ok, I think I'd be looking at the loom again. Off the top of my head, the wires to 1&4 coil will be grey & red/white? I would run a temporary wire from the grey at the TCI (CDI) plug onto 1&4 coil, and then pick up the red/white straight from 2&3 coil as a test.

The ignition wiring from the pickup to the TCI to the coils is very simple, where you've tested or swapped pretty-much every component that would cause your problem.

The other thing you could try (and hear me out here) is to unplug the tacho. Although it takes its signal from the TCI it's probably linked directly from a coil output internally, and looking at the wire colour (grey) I would suspect it comes from coil 1&4. If there's a problem with the tacho it could pull down the output to the coil.
These are very good suggestions. It is the orange wire to the LH coil and grey to RH. Didn't give the tacho a thought I know it Definitely gets its signal from one of the primary leads. Will certainly look at this today
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I got left behind two pages back. 😳😳😳🤪
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Good forum is this. Pity most prefer Facebook these days.
Been through everything on the bike again today. Swapping coils. Testing wires etc. Have a constant 10.5v to both coils through the red & white feed wires. Have continuity on both orange and grey wires back to cdi. The kickstand, neutral and clutch switches all good as is the kill switch. Tried disconnecting tacho and tested fuses. All OK. So my conclusion is no signal from igniter to coil through the orange wire. As I have replaced the igniter (CDI) I don't know what else to Do, so will be booking into workshop next week
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Sorry, the manual I was looking at gave the impression that coil 1&4 was switched by the grey wire, so the tacho shouldn't really affect the orange wire.

There's not much left to check that's specific to 1&4! The one thing I would check that Stig was implying on the first page is to check the pins/receptacles in the connectors. You may have continuity in the cores but if the terminals are deformed...
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I would vote for checking the connectors within all relevant blocks. When going through my ignition circuit a relay connector looked ok, however when checking closely one spade was quite loose and causing an on off effect. I had to dig out the spade and tweaked the end to get a good firm connection. As you have checked all components ( leads, caps etc.) I suspect a bad connection somewhere ( they can show as being ok when testing but fail on usage as vibration/ movement can break a dodgy connection). You said you changed the cdi so I would doubt two as showing the same fault. Good luck mate, I am sure you will find the issue soon.
Well I'll be .....