No spark on 1 & 4

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

No spark on 1 & 4

Post by NickZT »

Hi all. New here. I do post on the FZR1000 facebook page, but have always preferred Forums. I have a late 1996 Foxeye exup. Looking at 'how many left' site it may be the only P reg left on the road!
Well I say on the road, the bloody thing will not start. Went straight through mot last November, then put it away in garage to do up during the winter months. Was riding lovely. Recent new emulsion tubes and carb balance and fully working exup. Wanted to replace a few seals and gaskets, replaced the seat cover, new screen. Few fasteners and fitting and tidy up the lower fairing panels. Almost finished ready for the new season, but now no spark on cylinders 1 and 4. I know my way round these bikes and have bypassed kickstand switch Tested kill switch, clutch, neutral etc. All Ok Cranks over OK. Perfect battery. Proper continuity at pick up coil. Also orange wire from L/H coil to igniter OK. I have also replaced igniter with same spec unit sourced fro DK spares. Dont know what else to check. Any one had similar issue?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Does 2&3 have spark? If yes, swap coils over and check again. Has fault followed coils. If not then issue is in coil feed supply. If it moves with coil then coil at fault or plugs
AKA Bald headed b'stard
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

Yeah I bought a pair of replacement coils from ebay. Didn't fit them though because although advertised for an exup the primary resistance was 4.6 ohm, so didn't chance it, so as you suggested I swapped the coils round but still the same only firing on middle cylinders.
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

I did a continuity test on the red and white feed wire between the two coils This was OK. I guess I should get a constant 12v feed from fuse box when the ignition is turned on? Was thinking if there was a feed issue from say a faulty kill switch this would kill the power to both coils
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Faulty kill switch, side stand switch etc would kill both coils not just one. Have you got access to a spare CDI to check?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

I bought a replacement cdi box from DK spares on eBay. Swapped it over but still no spark on L/H coil. Could be faulty too I guess but you can't get them new any more. Plus it would cost more than the bike is worth. Every thing else connected to the CDI is working OK so I think the issue may lie elsewhere
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

AKA Bald headed b'stard
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

Cut out plenty of fused wires. These are all clustered together. Neutral, oil level, side stand etc. Just the exposed wires. Once you get into the loom, wires are like new.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Check coil feed wires at coil end against all wires at CDI end
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Where about are you?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

Gone all through the loom with multi meter. All seems OK. Although the continuity comes back normal on pick up coil Im wondering if this may be the issue. None on ebay for sale at the moment
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

Stig wrote:Check coil feed wires at coil end against all wires at CDI end
Did this with the orange wire. All OK. Didnt test the grey wire on RH coil because 2 & 3 are sparking OK. You are on the same wave length as me :)
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Just a thought, have you swapped the spark plugs between cylinders or tried a new set from a reputable source? A failed plug would also stop the opposing plug from firing, and if you're using eSkip NGK specials.... :paranoid:
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

It's a wasted spark circuit, so if a plug breaks down completely (like a dodgy copy plug could) it would break the HT circuit, so no spark on either cylinder fed by that coil. If a it fouled you could still have a spark on the opposing cylinder as there could still be a completed circuit. For the cost of a set of plugs (from a reputable source) I'd be chucking in a new set if he hasn't already. :thumbsup:
NickZT
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by NickZT »

I fitted brand new plugs last week along with new ht leads and caps. Not a coil (HT) issue because fault didnt follow coil when I swapped them around. I test using a spare spark plug in the removed cap earthed against the frame one at a time. 1 no spark 2 good spark 3 good spark and 4 no spark. It was suggested it could be the low level fuel switch May cut 2 cylinders when fuel is low? But I think that just cuts fuel pump and that is priming OK. All plugs are wet when I remove them