Leaking oil from water pump?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Leaking oil from water pump?

Post by Aznpersuasion »

So I've been chasing an oil leak for awhile now, tinkering whenever I get a chance. I replaced the shift rod oil seal and shift rod, ran the engine with the sprocket cover off, and the leak persisted. Oil is dripping off the lowest bolt on the water pump. Think this is a case of a bad o-ring inside the case? I didn't see a weep hole, and unless this is constructed differently, wouldn't the weep hole show coolant if the water pump internals failed? Guessing around a drip or two per minute when running. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

my FZR had an oil leak 'from the water pump'. It was actually from one of the oil feed lines at the back of the cylinder block (bad copper seal) and the oil tracked down that way. The water pump is one of the lowest points, when the bike is on the side stand, so can be a drip point for leaks from other places (true of a lot of bikes).

Worth checking.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Aznpersuasion »

pilninggas wrote:my FZR had an oil leak 'from the water pump'. It was actually from one of the oil feed lines at the back of the cylinder block (bad copper seal) and the oil tracked down that way. The water pump is one of the lowest points, when the bike is on the side stand, so can be a drip point for leaks from other places (true of a lot of bikes).

Worth checking.
interesting. ill definitely give that a look. thanks!
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Coolant pump

Post by creedxup »

There is a witness hole in the body of the pump, it would normally show coolant as the coolant around the seal is pressurised but the oil is only splash fed to the bearing,
The oil seal is on the body of the pump itself and is very easy to replace after removal of the pump

1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Re: Coolant pump

Post by Aznpersuasion »

creedxup wrote:There is a witness hole in the body of the pump, it would normally show coolant as the coolant around the seal is pressurised but the oil is only splash fed to the bearing,
The oil seal is on the body of the pump itself and is very easy to replace after removal of the pump

before i go ripping into this and dealing with coolant drain, change and burp, do you think this would be the likely culprit?
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Aznpersuasion »

took a look around the engine and didnt see any signs of dripping. the dripping is still present even with the engine off.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Aznpersuasion »

well i took the pump out, everything looked ok. replaced all the orings and housing seal. didnt leak a drop of oil or coolant while sitting there statically. turned it on to burp the coolant and started leaking oil. im guessing it has failed internally allowing oil to pass through to the weep hole. currently have a "known good" water pump on the way.