Bog splutter 6000

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Bog splutter 6000

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello. Started the bike today ( genesis 1000 87 ) to check work I had done on the clutch, oil filter spring and washer - all good. When started the bike really prefers to be warm before responding smoothly on the throttle, however when warm great until 6000 rpm. At this point struggling to go on and starting to bog down. The carbs have been stripped and cleaned, new float valves, jets, diaphragms in functioning order. I have set them as per factory/manual (not yet with vac gauges - got to buy some) also I have not done a float chamber level test yet. So I am thinking my problem lies in the float chamber level or carbs out of balance. I have posted this to ask - Have I missed anything obvious please? By the way all electrics bang on tolerances/outputs and zero misfire before 6000rpm.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Oh. Could you give me some details please?
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I think I get you. Emulsion tubes or needle jet. Right enough They could be the issue. I will do the float level check first. If not then tubes it is. Thanks for that.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I have looked at Fowlers page and the main nozzle as they call it is no longer available. Does anyone know where to source replacements or am I into trying to find a good second hand set of carbs? This is not an issue I have had to deal with in the past.
Well I'll be .....
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Goshreally2 wrote:I have looked at Fowlers page and the main nozzle as they call it is no longer available. Does anyone know where to source replacements or am I into trying to find a good second hand set of carbs? This is not an issue I have had to deal with in the past.
stig of this parish gets sets via group buys.

+ worth checking the fuel line isnt kinked and the fuel pump is pumping, lack of revs can be lack of adequate fuel flow.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

You can get tubes and other bits from these and they are a friendly helpful bunch. 👍

https://www.allensperformance.co.uk/

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Thank you. I will probably replace them anyway on final rebuild now. The carbs I have are in good condition (apart from possibly the tubes) so its a big relief to know I can get them. Without the input from members on the site I would have really struggled for parts and information (I am not done yet, by the way :D). Finding Litetek from yourselves also great - waiting for delivery of carb kit A.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi All. I am in the middle of checking and setting the carbs after doing a fuel level check and finding it to be vey low. So they are in bits to check the needle jets (which are ok and correct type) and reset the float height. I have 2 sets of carbs - when comparing the components I have found that I have 2 types of springs for the sliders. One set is shorter and stronger - when compressed the difference is quite a bit. Which set would give the better response from the throttle please? I am thinking the stronger set, but could they be causing problems at higher revs due to the increased resistance? I read that a stronger spring can increase air speed and vacuum and draw more fuel into the mixture????
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Sorted. I refitted the carbs with my Litetek kit, small adjustment to float heights. However, I also changed the fuel pump relay and fitted new carb rubbers. I think the relay might have been a sidestand relay (id numbers worn off) :retard: previous owner. Anyway, it blasts straight through 7000 rpm no probs. Didn't keep at it too long - my neighbours are decent and Sunday is still a day of rest for some. Thanks for the info. it helped clear the fog.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Glad it came right in the end. What do you think to those Litetek seal kits? 👍
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I think the seal kits are outstanding. I don't get why here in "Great" Britain we don't have someone manufacturing like this.
Well I'll be .....