Starter clutch issue

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Stuck clutch issues

Post by Goshreally2 »

I have a stuck clutch - probably glued together after years of standing. I have been given some good advice on how to free up ( Thank you Nuggit ). Unfortunately it is not working. Nuggit you did mention the starter clutch as maybe being an issue. The bike starts and stops fine with no starter motor engage/disengage problems but stuck clutch still, how might the starter clutch affect this please? Looking in the manual I have to check for plates sticking, warped and housing jam - either way its now clutch out. I have ordered a replacement kit but if its the starter clutch that's a horror story - as I have already been warned.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm not an expert on the starter clutch but here's a little video of how the starter clutch works on a motorcycle.

STARTER CLTCH

Somebody might come along who knows a bit more about it than I do.

I've had a look on the CMSNL website and it shows the starter clutch as #4. See below.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

I haven't watched the video as the man's voice was curing my insomnia!
:D

But, if you remove the starter motor you should be able to easily turn the exposed starter gear anti-clockwise, but not clockwise as the clutch will engage. If you can't turn the gear anti-clockwise there as a problem with the clutch that really needs to be looked at as it's not like a normal clutch where plates can stick. Unfortunately, this means splitting the crankcases....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I did think it meant splitting the engine down, not a job for the faint hearted. ☹️
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Yes, sorry, my post above relates entirely to the starter clutch. You did describe that as being ok - I should've read your first post properly! :whistle:

If the "transmission" clutch isn't disengaging as per creedxup's post above and the lever feels fine there might be a bit of air in the system, but it has to find a way in there.

Firstly, I would drop off the clutch cover and make sure that the pressure plate is lifting a few mm. If it's not there's an issue on the hydraulic side. If it is and you've had all of the plates out and refitted them properly it could be warped plates but this wouldn't happen from being stood.
The plates can stick together when stood, so it's then a case of hooking them out, check the condition and then give each a smear of engine oil when you put them back in. Make sure that each steel plate is refitted with the rounded edge towards the gearbox as this helps engagement of the clutch.

If you're fitting new friction plates leave them soaking overnight in the same type of oil that you use in the engine to pre-lube them.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

The clutch master and slave have been rebuilt - no leaks. The lever does seem to be opening the clutch but no disengagement. So I am down to stuck /warped plates or a housing issue. I have to replace the oil filter spring and washer and will open the clutch cover when doing this ( leaving the slave in place so I can see the housing move with the cover off - this will show area of fault ). Here's hoping. Thanks for the advice.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Right, that's sorted then. Rebuilt the clutch using new kit. It was stuck plates - they all came out in one block - seven of the plates where really quite well stuck together. Housing was good - no issues. I would not have been able to rectify this without stripping the clutch. Still, all good now - static test showing good operation. Again, thanks for the advice all.
Well I'll be .....