Shorty

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Shorty

Post by Arcanum »

Hey there you lot.
Ok, this'll probably give y'all a good laugh but it's actually quite serious for little old me.

I've got the full race leathers and all that, and also have the very cool looking boots to go with them, AlpineStars no less. But, with the shin guards in the leathers I can't fasten the bloody boots, even with the guards out it's a killer to get them done up and I'm convinced they're gonna fly open while I'm riding. I even bought them a size to big to compensate.
This all boils down to uncomfortable riding, it's great looking the part and being protected but if you're sick of your life by the time you get back home then what's the point?
So, I was thinking of solving the problem by getting some short boots, what do you think? I've seen these which are sposed to be quite good. . .

http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore.html

If any of you guys have any experience, or even use these things I'd love some input.
Cheers.
"Who was that masked man?"
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

S'funny you should say that!!

I can't get on with traditional bike boots ,...in fact I'd go as far as saying I hate long boots
(unless we're talking high heeled, thigh length, black leathered variety attached to a certain very nice young lady :blush:)

I had the same problem with the leathers not fitting inside the boot tops, so I bought these....

They're fully reinforced around the ankle and have a flexible steel sole. There's a reinforced area around the gear change area too and a flap to stop ya getting the laces caught up.
All in all, I think they're a top piece of kit. I've had them for about 5 years now and they've bedded in very nicely thank you!

If memory serves, they cost about a ton, and for the amount of protection they offer, I personally think they are well worth it
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

Hey there Stig, thanks ever so for the input mate, that's just the kind of thing I wanted to hear.
Nice to know that I'm not the only one with tree trunks for legs, or are new sport bike boots made for spelks? :angry:
tunguska
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tunguska »

Not made for Real Men, for sure :unibrow:
"It's the wonder of nature, baby!"
macca
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by macca »

Arc, methinks you should always use what is most easy/natural/comfortable for you on a bike.
I don't use full leathers cos i don't find em comfy at all, i know they are cooler and stronger but if i loose 10% concentration through a momentary un-comfy moment........... :paranoid:
I wear Oregon boots on the bike, and you won't find them in any bike shop.
If you want to wear those boots, go right ahead dude, don't be shy, afterall you can ride to the tea hut, but you gotta get off and walk to get the tea!!!
Improvise,Adapt,Overcome
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

tunguska wrote:Not made for Real Men, for sure :unibrow:
At first I thought that was an insult to me, and I was gonna tell ya tonights activities were off. :angry:
Then I realised you were talking about the blokes long sports boots are made for. That'll be activities plus tonight then. :cool:
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

Hey there Macca,

Words of wisdom there mate, not sure I could handle the attention if I were to ride every where naked though. :paranoid:

But seriously, my thinking is starting to go that way too. I used to just want to look cool, don't everyone laugh at once, but now I just really want to enjoy the bike.
I have to admit though, a nice fitting all-in-one set feels good to ride in for me.
tunguska
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tunguska »

Arcanum wrote:Words of wisdom there mate, not sure I could handle the attention if I were to ride every where naked though. :paranoid:
You think you'd make it as far as the bottom of the drive? :unibrow:
Yoda
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Yoda »

Good job its after 9 o'clock. Its all getting a bit X rated on here. :blush:
macca
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by macca »

You're comfortable naked........... :paranoid:
oh sweet jesus, i just had a vision.............
gotta go.
Improvise,Adapt,Overcome
tunguska
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tunguska »

Some blokes I know of attended a mini-rally-cum-house-party and late on, after drink had been taken, started doing naked two-up wheelies round the field they were camping in. All was going swimmingly until they dropped the bike into a patch of nettles. :eek:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Brings a whole new meaning to smart arse :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Hey Rob....whats a spelk when its at home :retard: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :paranoid: :paranoid:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
kiwi_r1

Post by kiwi_r1 »

yeah good question , I thought it might be a mutant "whelk" :paranoid: , but given all these naked :eek: Exup riders running around up North it could be anything........................scary very very scary, you lot need help :retard:

Stig wrote:Hey Rob....whats a spelk when its at home :retard: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :paranoid: :paranoid:
My Wifes an Ace, I've got an R1
Arcanum
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Arcanum »

A Spelk, one of of those nasty wee wood splinters that you get in your finger and then spend the rest of the day trying to dig out.
So basically, a wee skinny thing, skinny or weedy bloke, as in boots made for blokes with skinny legs :D
Common knowledge up here bub, maybe us Geordies are just a bit too advanced for those of a more souther climate. :cool: