wrong firing order or....

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
metalizzer
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

wrong firing order or....

Post by metalizzer »

Hi m8
I have an fzx 4AM with a FZR 1000 2RG 1988 engine
if i put the coils on what is supposed to be the correct firing order (1243) cylinders on the right side 3&4 dont work and no noise
if i put the coils on order (1324) all cylinders work but it makes a noise similar to valves
regards
FZX WITH FZR1000 ENGINE
XR650R SUMO
XRV750 RD04
Nicoxj
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Nicoxj »

Hi there, as far as I know, for the '87 and '88 FZR the firing order is 1-2-3-4.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi I am hoping this will help. On my genesis 87 the coils are laid side by side with the ht leads coming from the back at the top. If you look down ward the coils are serving 4 1 3 2 (left coil 4 1 wiring red/white and orange ) ( right coil 3 2 wiring red/white and grey ). I don't think this is the firing order but laid out this way it is correct - bike fires up straight away every time. I have looked through the manual and can see no mention of firing order.
Well I'll be .....
metalizzer
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by metalizzer »

Goshreally2 wrote:Hi I am hoping this will help. On my genesis 87 the coils are laid side by side with the ht leads coming from the back at the top. If you look down ward the coils are serving 4 1 3 2 (left coil 4 1 wiring red/white and orange ) ( right coil 3 2 wiring red/white and grey ). I don't think this is the firing order but laid out this way it is correct - bike fires up straight away every time. I have looked through the manual and can see no mention of firing order.
Hi , your engine has 1 or 2 pickup coils?
FZX WITH FZR1000 ENGINE
XR650R SUMO
XRV750 RD04
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi. It has one pick up coil. The 2rg engine only has one according to the parts catalogue.
Well I'll be .....
metalizzer
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by metalizzer »

Goshreally2 wrote:Hi. It has one pick up coil. The 2rg engine only has one according to the parts catalogue.
on your bike the ignition coils are side by side on the fzx they are apart, but its the same 1&4 cylinders on left and 2&3 on the right... but can you see on your bike what is the order the cables plug on the engine? sitting on the bike from left to right.
FZX WITH FZR1000 ENGINE
XR650R SUMO
XRV750 RD04
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi. left to right ht leads 4 1 3 2. I explained the wiring colour ( low tension ) in the earlier post to help you determine whether your coils are in order. Looking from above the ht leads are coming from the back at the top of the coils - left coil 4 1 - right coil 3 2. This is how it is on my bike and running well. I could not tell you the specific firing order as that is determined inside the ignitor box electronics. Also the coils I have are oe and have tags with the cylinder number on each of the ht leads so its definitely correct.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi. Thought I would ask what wiring do you have? Whole genesis loom or just ignition circuits? or ?
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello. Fair play to you for sorting it. I would try to eliminate the exhaust leak. This is normally a tick tick type sound. I would think that a leak might have some effect on running, how much I am not sure. Hopefully some of the original doods ( Nuggit, Stig, Teego, Pilninggas) will pick up on this and have some info. for you. All the best.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well done metalizzer. :nod: :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
metalizzer
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by metalizzer »

hi there Nug!

long time since my barbie foxy eyed, remember?
sometimes i miss her!

thanx
FZX WITH FZR1000 ENGINE
XR650R SUMO
XRV750 RD04