Genesis 1987

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Trying to find the right exhaust is like searching for a good woman.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Near impossible then....
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It's a bit of a long shot and I'm not going to get your hopes up :(

A couple of years ago I noticed Padgetts were advertising brand new Micron exhaust cans on e-bay. I got in contact with a lad called Bill and I told him what I was after fo my bike. Now here comes the farce bit. I gave him the size of my exhaust bore (kindly donated by stig) and he said I'll go and see what we've got in the stores dept and I'll give you a ring back to tell you what I've got for you. A week went by and no return call so I rang him. I was told he wasn't there this week but the chap on the phone said I'll get him to ring you when he comes back. I gave it another week and heard nothing so once again I rang him and I managed to get hold of him and he said he's still looking into it for me and he'll ring me back and this time he promised he would. Two weeks went by and once again I heard nothing. I rang them again and now it was time to prepare for the TT races so there was no chance.

Anyway I'd better stop this farce here because this went on for 7 months. I didn't ring them again instead I had a ride over and I actually collared Bill and talk about looking sheepish. Having had a few words with him all I ended up with was an exhaust seal that goes on the exhaust end plate.

I do know for sure they've got Micron end cans in their stores but they didn't have one that would look right (big enough) to fit my bike.

Depending on what your budget is. Try contacting them but only if your determined to see it through till the end.

https://www.padgettsmotorcycles.com/
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

there are 2LA parts on ebay.de:

EXHAUST

not cheap, but would do a turn. :D
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Thanks for the info and links. I am constantly on ebay but I didn't see these. Yeah I don't what my problem is. I am still thinking as I have worked out there are a few ways round this problem, one being universal cans with db killers but they have a straight inlet which my current system doesn't. So I need to make a link pipe mock up and see how much from a local engineering firm I used to work at ( and get some header clamps made ). I am starting the mock up tonight so hopefully I can get a price quickly just in case its the ebay option for which I had better be quick. I am thinking that link pipe and universal can are maybe going to give me a good look and work well for under 175. I am trying with the current system because its stainless and in good nick just a bit tarnished. Again thanks for the info. food for thought.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Currently smashing open piggy banks to invest in the headers from Germany - the condition is outstanding. Thanks bods.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello. Concerning my exhaust problem I have a part solution. After doing loads of measurements and mocking I realized that a universal pipe could work. So at 30 quid I took the risk. It arrived today, talk about lucky it slotted straight on to the connector pipe, a really good snug fit. A db killer slots straight in. This is a result for me as the item is well made and has no writing or logos on it and the cost is helping me move quicker than I had hoped. I still need a tag welded on one of the downtubes (spring anchor) and some header clamps made but I think I can get that done locally. I know some people will say its not good to do (the purists) but it does look right and pretty good. As some of you are probably realizing I am a bit of a peasent trying to do this using sense and hard work to achieve a good result as money doesn't rain round here, but that's what its about I think, the journey, the work and the result.
Well I'll be .....
Teego

Post by Teego »

Goshreally2 wrote:Hello. Concerning my exhaust problem I have a part solution. After doing loads of measurements and mocking I realized that a universal pipe could work. So at 30 quid I took the risk. It arrived today, talk about lucky it slotted straight on to the connector pipe, a really good snug fit. A db killer slots straight in. This is a result for me as the item is well made and has no writing or logos on it and the cost is helping me move quicker than I had hoped. I still need a tag welded on one of the downtubes (spring anchor) and some header clamps made but I think I can get that done locally. I know some people will say its not good to do (the purists) but it does look right and pretty good. As some of you are probably realizing I am a bit of a peasent trying to do this using sense and hard work to achieve a good result as money doesn't rain round here, but that's what its about I think, the journey, the work and the result.
Pix would be good. None of us are purists, this isn't the Ariel Leader forum. We've all modded our bikes to suit our needs, wants and desires. Needn't cost megabux.
Keep on keepin' on.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

That's why I like this site, none of you are snobs. I was thinking of probable future comments from some people generally. I will sort some pics soon ( new phone makes it easier ).
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello, tonight I have been having a fight with a rear brake caliper piston seized and finally I won but the route to victory was a bit offbeat I thought. I had removed the piston as far as it would go using the braking system. I split the caliper and removed the first piston with cloth and grips (it was nearly out) which was in excellent condition. The second piston not with air or good force with the grips. I decided that a new piston would allow me to not worry about damage. So I tried with no cloth and grips and all I could give it.... no luck. I thought then about heating the caliper half. Gas was going to be ok but problematic with burning, so I sacrificed a frying pan. I put the hob (electric) on full and placed the pan on it and let it get hot, like burn the pan hot. I placed the caliper half in the pan and let it heat up to the point that the caliper top was wet finger sizzle hot. I had been dropping ice cubes in the piston removing the liquid (straw) and replacing cubes to reduce piston temp. Again grips and force....nothing. having tried quite a bit like this I realized if this didn't work I would have to grind it out which I was really trying to avoid. At this point I thought screw it I will cook it. So I put it back in the pan and let it heat up to the point of watching smoke rise from the seal area around the piston, then watched it a bit more ( listening for signs of cracking and death also). I made no attempt to cool the piston, which is the bit I wasn't sure about because I thought I needed the two rates of expansion. This final process did the trick after a while. I am thinking the heat cooked out the crap holding the piston in. Flooding the back of the piston chamber with wd40 also didn't help prior to heat. The caliper body is in good condition no damage. I don't think I would recommend it though unless a last resort - house stinks of cooked rubber. Checked the caliper for any distortion, nothing. A result in my book.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm not really sure what to say about that but if it worked then fair play to you. :nod: :D

Can I ask if you did all that with one hand?

If so that must have been a pretty good sight to see because whilst you're doing that with one hand and wafting a tea towel at the kitchen smoke alarm with the other hand I'm well impressed. :nod: :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

AKA Bald headed b'stard
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Your not wrong Stig, it was a bit unorthodox and worrying. Thanks for the info about drill into base of piston, this will come in handy for the fronts ( also looking into slide hammer kit). I will admit it didn't occur to me mainly because my drilling equipment is crap. :(
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello. I was wondering what is the best brake pad type or manufacturer for good stopping power but not destroying discs? I am fitting new stainless discs and want to get the most out of them.

Nuggit - you seem to ride out a fair bit on your exup - what pads are you using please?
Well I'll be .....
Teego

Post by Teego »

I used EBC HH on my Foxeye. When hooked up with braided lines on the 6 pots they were brilliant. Still had my original disks after 50000 miles.
At Donington with the HEL lines the brakes seemed to improve as they got hotter.
Keep on keepin' on.