UH OH! - Oil Lamp On!

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

nuggitt wrote:Yup!! I'm doing ok Paul and looking forward to Saturday so I can get my leg over again :blush: on the bike of course. Going to have a bezz round somewhere but I'll check all my bolts before I set off this time. :eek: :thumbsup:
Which "screw" was loose?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Have a look at my meets and rideout post, it will explain everything. 😲
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

oldskoolexup wrote: Which "screw" was loose?
The one between the bars and the seat 👍😂
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

nuggitt wrote:Yup!! I'm doing ok Paul and looking forward to Saturday so I can get my leg over again :blush: on the bike of course. Going to have a bezz round somewhere but I'll check all my bolts before I set off this time. :eek: :thumbsup:
There's always a chance of catching something when you throw your leg over. Use appropriate PPE.
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Stig wrote:
The one between the bars and the seat 👍😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Teego wrote:
There's always a chance of catching something when you throw your leg over. Use appropriate PPE.
Are you forgetting about my leathers? Nothing will penetrate them Chris. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Oil Lamp Off - The Oil Debate....

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,

I went to resolve the Oil Lamp Problem and discovered the lamp had reset itself!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I honestly wasn't looking forward to pulling the exhaust and all the covers etc. just to get to that level sensor.

Since I had added some oddball oil to the machine, when I thought there was a problem, I needed to make a full oil and filter change to get that crap oil out of there (Castrol GTX).

THE OIL BRAND DEBATE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here in the States, there are very frequently HEATED debates about what is the best oil for our Yamahas. I wonder if you've had the same?

Obviously, some brands of oil are NOT good for our wet clutches. Synthetics seems to be extremely troublesome. I own several XS11's and the clutch in that machine will be absolutely ruined with synthetic oil.

Many, including one person I know, recommend the use of SHELL ROTELLA. This oil is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread (or perhaps a cup of tea :lol: ). Strangely, my friend that recommends the ROTELLA has blown two motors. His dumbass reasoning is it would have blown sooner with any other oil.

Personally, I use only YamaLube 20/50 in all of my machines. I reason that the mother ship knows what is going on in my engine and is not going to put anything in there that is bad for it.

Yes. YamaLube is a LITTLE bit more expensive but really only a dollar or two than an inexpensive oil. The ROTELLA is VERY EXPENSIVE and designed for lower RPM DIESEL engines. That can't be too great for a high revving motorcycle.

I wonder if you have similar debates over oil? Or is this just dumbass Americans?

Anyway, the bike is back and ready for more HIGH SPEED RUNNING! Hopefully, the level sensor will continue to behave.

Kurt
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Teego

Post by Teego »

nuggitt wrote:
Teego wrote:
Are you forgetting about my leathers? Nothing will penetrate them Chris. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was thinking more about you doing the penetrating.
Keep on keepin' on.