Bike cutting out pls hellllp!!!

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Bike cutting out pls hellllp!!!

Post by yzfpaul »

Hi all first time caller, long time listener ๐Ÿ˜‚
I have a 89 exup that I've played about with last year, rode from Scotland to Belgium and quite a few Sunday runs out too
Anyway after being stored away for the winter I've got what feels like a fuel starvation issue and it goes like this...
I start the bike = all is fine then a few miles down the road it feels like it's running out of fuel...it conkes out and after a minute it fires up and goes another few miles and so on and so on

So I took the tank off and noticed the pipe coming from the tank to the fuel pump had a kink in it... Eurika simple easy diagnosis and a easy fix....
I put a new peice of pipe on and it went 10 miles before doing the same thing? I conked out at the side of the road had a fag scratched my head and then it fired into life and I rode 10 miles home it actually started to feel like it was going to conk out again as I pulled into the drive

Any and all input greatly welcome
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

No it was a new peice but it was just 6mm ID and visualy smaller than the one I took off would a few mm make that much of a difference?
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

There's not much I don't know about exups but this rearly has me bamboozled
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Tank airlock maybe

When it cuts out have you tried turning power off n on to see if the pump feels the need to prime for ages?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

If its an airlock could I try opening the cap when it starts to splutter and if it picks up I'll know its a airlock ๐Ÿค”
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

yzfpaul wrote:If its an airlock could I try opening the cap when it starts to splutter and if it picks up I'll know its a airlock ๐Ÿค”
Worth a try. Also reserve switch?
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

When you turn the ignition on does the pump prime and then stop when carbs float bowls are full? Or does it keep priming continually?

Mine sometimes used to prime and would keep going without knocking off. I cured it by pulling the fuel pipe off at the T piece where it goes into the carbs. When I pulled the pipe off there was an air gap then fuel came out. I then put the pipe back onto the T piece and it primed for a few seconds and then it stopped. No problems after that.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

DEFFO kink in the pipe - had exact same problem myself about May last year (see my old posts) due to o/e fuel pipe breaking.
Put an ordinary replacement fuel pipe on and kept cutting out as you describe. Kink was causing it until I put in a reinforced fuel pipe and kept deliberately short so it couldn't kink.
Have since managed to get an o/e replacement but ain't fitted it yet (Thanks Stig) but haven't had it cut out since, even though not used it much.
Doubt you'll get a shaped o/e pipe anywhere but try the reinforced stuff.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.
Pitbull
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by Pitbull »

If there is a kink in the pipe, not sure what length the pipes are, but ( sorry for swearing ) some Suzuki's have metal springs that cover the fuel lines to stop them kinking,

This may help
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

Found the problem it was the tiny filter that sits in the tee peace of the carb where the main pipe connects, it was blocked to buggery
But as always thanks for the replys, I now have a new pipe new fuel filter and a perfect running bike ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽ‰
Teego

Post by Teego »

Glad it's sorted Paul. Now you have to get booted and suited to fill up with Vpower and road test to ensure all is good. 140 miles should do it. Then more Vpower before you go home. Better do it before the weather turns wet :ninja:
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well done Paul. A simple fix in the end. ๐Ÿ‘
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Gord
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Gord »

yzfpaul wrote:Found the problem it was the tiny filter that sits in the tee peace of the carb where the main pipe connects, it was blocked to buggery
But as always thanks for the replys, I now have a new pipe new fuel filter and a perfect running bike ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽ‰
Hi Paul, I am having a similar problem to yours, whereabouts is this little filter and what does it look like?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Image :thumbsup:
Gord
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Gord »

nuggitt wrote:Image :thumbsup:
Thanks Paul, I will have a look at that today.