Speedo GROWL

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Speedo GROWL

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,
Got in a 100 mile ride on Monday (to/from work).

My speedo had been acting strangely for a while and bouncing a little on take-off. I suspected I was in for trouble....

Damn thing went crazy enroute started spinning around like crazy, the tip broke the heck off and now the damn thing is GROWLING so loud I can hear it in my helmet at 70+mph.

Considered buying another from e-bay but figure it could be no better than what I "had". There is a place in San Diego that claims to be able to rebuild & refurbish to like new..... Guess this one is headed to California.

KURT
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Nicoxj
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Nicoxj »

Hi,

Had the same on my good old '89 exup ...

It is the cable connector behind the meter that is at fault. If it not too late, remove the dashboard and check your cable connector. It may have lost the asembly plate and is therefore moving sidewise...

Either you figure out how to replace that plate, or you change only the connector (for me, I realised the issue too late, and had to change the connector)
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Those US spec speedos are over-crowded with info but I see that the regulators have kindly made the 55mph mark in red to remind you to shift up to 2nd.
Anyway, since your clock is mechanically driven I'd check out the entire driveline from axle drive upwards.
Keep on keepin' on.
Metalface

Post by Metalface »

Teego wrote:Those US spec speedos are over-crowded with info but I see that the regulators have kindly made the 55mph mark in red to remind you to shift up to 2nd.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I have to understand, don't bother to explain.

Yoda wrote:Well mental bikes though, suits you sir.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Speedo. Attempting Repair

Post by kboehringer »

Although it is likely going to be short-lived, I'm trying to fix the speedo.... Super Glue for the pointer and Grease for the angle drive.

On another Vintage Yamaha site, the posters indicate that a little grease every couple years avoids the problem. I found nothing but dust where the grease use to be.

This might be like pissing in the wind but it's worth a try....

Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

All you can do Kurt is give it your best shot. You never know you could get lucky. ๐Ÿ‘
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Speedo Repaired.. FINGERS CROSSED

Post by kboehringer »

nuggitt wrote:All you can do Kurt is give it your best shot. You never know you could get lucky. ๐Ÿ‘
The wish of good luck seems to have fixed it.... I HOPE.

Drove about 4-5 miles got her up to about 70-80mph and the speedo worked nice & smooth.

I'm hopeful this has done the trick but I've kinda gotta believe there are some little bits in there like a spring or something that was damaged. The way the thing was spinning around and going crazy it seems unlikely a bit of lube solved the whole mess..... I'll be keeping my eye out for a good used one (just in case).

I've gotta say thanks for such a great site and great group of enthusiasts..... I may even post my dismay at another site (in a different thread).

Thanks again
KURT
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by kboehringer »

nuggitt wrote:I never go over 60 anyway. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘
Then you must never get out of first gear?
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Teego

Post by Teego »

John, how can life get in the way of biking?
I rode for 40 years and nothing got in the way.
Kids - love you and see you at tea time.
Gardening - no, cant do that on Sundays.
Half term - great, Euroscratching with my pals.
Your bro' has terminal C and lives in south of France - Sod Ryanair, I'll take the bike.

Had to stop coupla years ago for health reasons and switched to 4 wheels.
Keep on keepin' on.
Teego

Post by Teego »

kboehringer wrote:
nuggitt wrote:I never go over 60 anyway. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘
Then you must never get out of first gear?
None of us knows how John rides. When we were all hill racing over the Cat + Fiddle Pass and Snake Pass he was toasting his ass on a Greek island. We had some seriously fast members in those days. Fast bikes and snotty tyres.

When I was in the States I was seriously impressed by the canyon racing. Especially in shorts and Nikes.
Keep on keepin' on.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I used to have a variable speedo reading (my excuse occifer...) so I took the front wheel speedo gearbox apart & there are several thin washers like shims. These were quite dry so were cleaned & lubed with a light grease.
The inner cable was also thoroughly cleaned & as much dirt removed from the outer cable innards. I then used light 3-in-1 to lube the inner cable.
Not had a problem since :thumbsup: :nod:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk