Genesis 1987

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Something I forgot to ask. The fuel pump starts as soon as the ignition is turned on. I assume this is normal or should it only engage when the run switch is on. Wondering because I have not found any real nightmares in the loom yet but the pump is not supposed on ignition key turn then I have an obvious problem.
Well I'll be .....
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

On the Exup-R the fuel pump primes as soon as you switch on the ignition with the kill switch in the 'RUN' position. It should then stop once the back pressure from the filled float bowls turns the pump off. I don't normally wait for this to happen as the bike will usually start before it gets to that point.

There's a similar problem on the FZR1000 page on f/b where someone's having a problem tracing where the sparks have gone. I suggested finding someone with a scope for tracing low voltage signals as it's an ideal tool for these situations.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Found a dodgy fly wire(well concealed) in the fuel pump to relay line. Don't know why they bothered because when reconnected the fuel pump works via the engine kill switch as I suspected it should. one down. Thanks for the info it has been very helpful.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Just wanted to say thank you for the technical info. downloads.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi all. I had a result today after a no spark problem. After much testing and a few purchases I now have a good clean spark. It was the ignitor. Good news as it means I can move on with the many jobs required. Next stage, will it fire up? I will post some pictures as soon as I can.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

I have found that I can't continue with my project as the frame is junk. I had a problem with the left lower subframe mount (was going to require a weld). After looking at the left side main frame rail I found it was creased from the fairing mount bracket havind impacted the side of the frame. I have gone down the route of another frame and v5 so not the original identity I wanted. I will get a chance to polish the frame when my fully ok frame (I have been assured but we will see. I am going through ebay so protected). This thing is fighting me all the way. Oh and another moan. Whats wrong with the genesis why are there so few exhausts available. Still that's for later. Got quite a nice stainless system on it but the silencer is scratched and not road legal, so things could be done.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Forgot to ask. Can the exhaust to head clamping brackets be sourced separately. Mine are stinking.
Well I'll be .....
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The Genesis exhausts are mild steel as oem so tend to rot... same as Thunderace. The exups are stainless so more durable but then you have the poor maintenance of the valve itself to factor
As for your system, most stainless will polish so depending how deep the scratches are, you might be able to remove them with time and patience
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Btw, I might be able to get you some header clamps laser cut in stainless 👍
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Thank you Stig. When I am closer to the time I may well take you up on your offer.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi All. I got the genesis to fire up, its the first time this thing has run in approx. 12 years. I was shocked to be honest. I did all the checks changed the oil etc. but even so I wasn't expecting the result I got. No nasty noises and it started like it had been running regularly so I have been lucky. I returned the carbs to standard jetting and repaired the airbox the stupidly designed nipple nosey thing on the front had snapped off, my repair isn't the most beautiful but its an improvement on the factory design (much stronger) and as you can't really see it even with the tank off it's not an issue. Now its on with the electrics (few gremlins) and brake system overhaul. My biggest issue will be my exhaust. I can get my silencer welded but its very heavy and would need a db killer fitted to pass the mot. I would like to replace the whole system but cost is an issue. So if anybody knows of a good system at a good price please let me know ( I will post on classifieds). I have decided to hang on to the original frame in case I can get it repaired well (couple of small problems but money stops that at the moment as the price for the work is more than putting everything in another decent frame which I have got). Had to save it because so far I have found out this is one of the first 100 genesis built for the English market and what with the engine showing such promise its got to be a keeper. The previous owner needs to be locked up for crimes against decent motorcycles though. Oh, question, looking at various bikes about - where are all the people going for their mot when they have race pipes? Our local mot bods are all pretty strict on that :puke:
Well I'll be .....
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Regarding pipes and MOT I can only say that I ran stock exhaust on my Genesis. The collector box had to be welded up once. Problem was it was a single unit from headers to outlet. With my Exup I used to swap my Quill can for standard to do the test. 10 minute job each way. With the Akra on my Gixxer I just popped in the Db killer. Never wanted to take the piss out of my friendly tester, so always gave him something that would pass.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I run std headers with a Harris full bore race can. The other for highway use engraving has been covered with a nice little plate pop riveted over the top that states the relevant BS number.
Never have issues with MOT 👍 although most bike testers are also bikers so know the score....
Loud pipes save lives !
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

In the past I've taken most my bikes to three different MOT stations and I've always had Micron race cans fitted and they never battered an eyelid. I must add they were all bikers, past and present. Where I take it now the lad worked (high up the ladder) for Bimoto Yamaha.

At this moment I have a Micron MR450 race can and when I asked the lad at the MOT place if he think its loud he shrugs his shoulders and says no not really but I do have tinnitus. Lol My can used to have NOT FOR ROAD USE and like stig I made it disappear, well not me but a jeweller friend of mine over in Greece. He covered it all up with some molten silver. :D :nod:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

A few years ago I had a mate who worked at Micron. He could have got you an end cap off production before all that crap was engraved into it. He no longer works there no though.
AKA Bald headed b'stard