Genesis 1987

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Genesis 1987

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello Everyone. I am new here. I know it's not an exup but I have recently got a genesis 1987 with early frame and engine numbers matching which I am hoping to restore. I am told by yam uk that numbers started at 101 but not all numbers were used. Mine is one of the first 124 machines to be built for europe. Dvla have confirmed that this a uk bike at first reg. That is as far as I have got. Does anybody know more or where to go for more info please. I would appreciate any tips also please. Thanks.
Well I'll be .....
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Re: Genesis 1987

Post by pilninggas »

Goshreally2 wrote:Hello Everyone. I am new here. I know it's not an exup but I have recently got a genesis 1987 with early frame and engine numbers matching which I am hoping to restore. I am told by yam uk that numbers started at 101 but not all numbers were used. Mine is one of the first 124 machines to be built for europe. Dvla have confirmed that this a uk bike at first reg. That is as far as I have got. Does anybody know more or where to go for more info please. I would appreciate any tips also please. Thanks.
VJMC hold info, but probably not anymore than you already have.

Pictures are welcome!
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

30+ years ago I had the FZR1000 Genesis. The first real superbike that went round corners. Had it for 8 years until I bought my Foxeye RU.

Your Reg No, VIN(frame) No and engine number will be the keys to your search for parts. Otherwise try us if you have specific questions. If you care to let us have your reg number someone here may have owned the bike or know about it. Mine was D745 XAU.
Keep on keepin' on.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi thanks for info. the reg no. of the bike is D686 SGC. I will try to get pictures up soon. chassis no. is 225. It will need a fair bit doing but I thought it must be worth saving. I am hoping I am the man for the job. I will check vjmc thanks.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hello all. I was hoping if someone knows how to test an ignitor on a genesis 87. I have gone through most of the other components in the ignition system and they appear ok. Is it even possible to check at home or is it a dealer only type issue? I am currently talking to some bike dealers about this but not much luck so far.
Well I'll be .....
Teego

Post by Teego »

What's the problem? Do you have a spark?
Keep on keepin' on.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Hi. I have a small spark when I turn on the run switch but no spark when turning over. I have checked the pickup coil its in range, checked coil in range, battery has good charge. I am assuming that if I had a short then I would be seeing anything (please correct me if I am wrong).So I am moving towards the ignitor. Also have to check the main relay yet but I have some info on that. Am I missing anything obvious (does clutch switch and sidestand relay effect initial starting in neutral)?
Well I'll be .....
Teego

Post by Teego »

Loose centre stand mounting is worth checking.. IIRC the clutch didn't play any part in starting provided box was in neutral.
What checks have you done on the battery?
Have you tried boost starting it with jump leads to your car?
Keep on keepin' on.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Thanks for that, good to know. It turns out using a decent meter the ignition coils are reading 2.5 ohms resistance at the primary( should be 1.8 to 2.2). secondary is ok within range. Would this be enough maybe. There are a pair on ebay from a running bike apparently at 40 quid including caps so I might invest in them as a backup anyway.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

I am using a brand new battery which seems to have good power output. Also there is no centre stand on the bike. I am off to study the wiring diagram some more.
Well I'll be .....
Teego

Re: genesis 87

Post by Teego »

Goshreally2 wrote:I am using a brand new battery which seems to have good power output. Also there is no centre stand on the bike. I am off to study the wiring diagram some more.
Is the centre stand cut out switch still there? It's a plunger.
Keep on keepin' on.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

There never was a centre stand fitted to any of the FZR1000 models. But the sidestand switchs have been known to give problems. This & the clutch switches were the first two items I removed when I bought my Exup-R. I've done the same to my other bikes as well
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

What's the voltage at the coils? If it's a lot less than battery voltage then trace the wiring back.

When the ignition switch is enabled it connects the battery to the coils. In the past i've found that dirty contacts within the ignition switch has caused a substantial drop in volts on the coils.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Thank you. Sidestand switch ok. Will check clutch switch and voltage as suggested.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

genesis 87

Post by Goshreally2 »

Judging from your feedback. Is it rare for these items to break down. ( I used to have a suzuki gsxr slabby on which the ignitor box got wet inside but ran again instantly after I blew the water out. So I am thinking it should not be broken on the genesis because it is so well protected and appears in good condition).
Well I'll be .....