ignitionsystem swap -02 R1 to -87 fzr 1000

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rebel
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

ignitionsystem swap -02 R1 to -87 fzr 1000

Post by rebel »

hello fellow bikers..i have bought a set of stick- coils from a -02 R1 to replace the old coilset on my -87 fzr 1000.
I wonder if it is possible to use more components from the R1, the ECU and the speedometerunit, hook it up and make it run with the R1- mapping for the ignition?

Regards REBEL
-87 FZR 989 Genesis
-12 XT 660X Modified
-90 XVZ 1300 Venture Royale
rebel
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by rebel »

Hi there Nuggit, and thanks for the reply.

I know , after some research on the net , that it is possible to wire the R1-sticks to the original loom,very much the same way you wire the cb600 sticks, using the original ignitionmodule from -87.

But i want to upgrade as much as possible on the bike ,its 32 years old now, and the plastics and rubber is hardening and cracking up.

So it would be a big thing if i could use the entire loom from the R1, with the more modern ECU and the R1- speedo that is an big upgrade on the bike,no more drivewire to the front wheel.
But there might be an issue with the signals sent from the magnet on the crankshaft, since the angle on the sylinders of the fzr and the R1 is not the same, but this is something i am sure can be corrected in the software..I think we have the same engines here ,working out of the same priciples mecanically, so with the right software i think i can make this work..

What o you guys think..can i make it happen?
-87 FZR 989 Genesis
-12 XT 660X Modified
rebel
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

stickcoils

Post by rebel »

-87 fzr 989 with -02 R1 stickcoils, i got the coils on e-bay..paid 87 euros from California..could maybe have done it cheaper buying coils from Honda or Kawasaki...
-87 FZR 989 Genesis
-12 XT 660X Modified
rebel
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

-87 FZR 1000 injection..

Post by rebel »

Hello bikers...i have now managed to get my hands on a complete 2005 R1 electronics with ecu ,wiringloom and a complete injection with airbox to be mounted on my -87..no more 37 mikunis that causing trouble..imagine finetuning this beautyful engine in a dyno, in a way not possible with carburators...i also put an upgraded the clutch in the motor, combined with a 532 d.i.d. chain..everything reinforced..
-87 FZR 989 Genesis
-12 XT 660X Modified
rebel
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

mapping

Post by rebel »

Hello Stig..i will hook up the ecu to a computer and change the ignitioncurve to original -87 mapping,and since im running 4-1 aftermarket muffler i will deactivate the exup-function in the ecu..
Furthermore i will run the bike in a dyno for finetuning..
I cant see any mechanical hinderings for this to work..the injection and wiringloom is in the mail and i can give you guys an update in a forthnight..

in the meantime...CHEERS FROM NORWAY...
-87 FZR 989 Genesis
-12 XT 660X Modified
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Re: mapping

Post by pilninggas »

rebel wrote:Hello Stig..i will hook up the ecu to a computer and change the ignitioncurve to original -87 mapping,and since im running 4-1 aftermarket muffler i will deactivate the exup-function in the ecu..
I cant see any mechanical hinderings for this to work..the injection and wiringloom is in the mail and i can give you guys an update in a forthnight..

why not use the hardware and loom but use speeduino? got to be a far better bet than trying to modify the firmware in an R1 ecu.

Will you be running an internal or external fuel pump?

http://fzr1000injection.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
rebel
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

injection

Post by rebel »

rebel wrote:
Hello Stig..i will hook up the ecu to a computer and change the ignitioncurve to original -87 mapping,and since im running 4-1 aftermarket muffler i will deactivate the exup-function in the ecu..

why not use the hardware and loom but use speeduino? got to be a far better bet than trying to modify the firmware in an R1 ecu.

Will you be running an internal or external fuel pump?

http://fzr1000injection.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html

i will cut a hole in the bottom of the original tank and fit a internal pump from an 2012 XT660X, that way i got everything the way yamaha wants it..

regarding speeduino ..it is an alternative..so is maxxecu, whitch in my opinion is a far safer way of doing things.. im willing to pay a few bucks extra for a hassle free build..

but this time i am going for the original ecu and flashing it...if that is not successful i will take a look at the speeduino and other aftermarket ecu and ecm..

thanks for info and a very useful link..

Regards Rebel..
-87 FZR 989 Genesis
-12 XT 660X Modified