FZR Crankshaft Rotation Tool?

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

FZR Crankshaft Rotation Tool?

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,
What are you using to turn the FZR crankshaft when doing a valve adjustment?
Does anyone make a tool for the FZR motor?

When reviewing my manual (Haynes) they show the following:

OBVIOUSLY, they've improvised a timing ring from another Yamaha. I noticed the timing ring from my XS1100 is very SIMILAR in appearance but it does not work.....

How are ya'll rotating the crankshaft?

Kurt
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Hi Kurt,

If the end of the crank is the same as my YZF (which I'm sure it will be), all you need is the correct size Hex head bolt (M8?) and a flange nut.
Screw the flange nut on the bolt (with the flange side opposite the bolt head) and then screw the bolt into the end of the crank. then tighten the flange nut up against the crank (this is the key - make sure it is well tight!).
You should now be able to turn the crank using a ring spanner on the bolt head. If the nut comes undone then the nut wasn't tight enough.
Remove the spark plugs as well to reduce compression.
Good Luck!
Sorry for brief reply but hopefully that makes sense!
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Im sure its been said before that you can also do this by raising the rear wheel using a paddock stand and rotating the wheel which will in turn rotate the crank.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I made a tool for this application out of a square of ally plate, drilled a centre hole & found a small length of tool steel that fits into the small recess on the crank end. I inserted that into the offset hole & indented that small piece into the ally square & drilled a blind hole & pressed it into place. With a suitable bolt it works perfectly to rotate the crank & position it.

There was a pic I used on here a few years ago but like so many others from p/b it's been lost :angry:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk