And now for something completely different..........

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

And now for something completely different..........

Post by Teego »

......I've done many track days on my bikes - Genesis Thou, Exup Foxeye and GSXR. Favourite and most used track was Donington, partly because it's 20 mins from home but also because it's a great open fast sweeping track. Also done Oulton, which is second favourite, and Cadwell. I hate Cadwell, it's too nadgery. Also Cat + Fiddle., Long Hill, B500 and B258.

Next Saturday I'm taking the CLS55 to the Pistonheads trackday at Oulton. With 520bhp and 770n/m after the remap it should be very interesting. It's a long and wide car anyway but compared to a bike it's like an Iranian supertanker.

BTW fill your bikes, cars and home oil tanks now. Saudi Arabia has cut oil output after the refinery attacks.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Oulton and studying all the track vids on YT.
Keep on keepin' on.
Teego

Post by Teego »

I was reminded of the good old days when I rediscovered my review of the Cat & Fiddle track. Happy times:

The popular Cat and Fiddle circuit lies on the A537 between Macclesfield and Buxton. It was constructed at taxpayer's expense and is, therefore, open 24/7 and admission is free for riders and spectators.

This is a technical course with few top speed straights - Cadwell regulars will quickly find their pace while those more used to Donington will have to adjust their technique, or else. The layout has been designed to exploit the handling features of racing machines not just absolute power. It is particularly well suited to lightweight classes and supermotards.

Safety features are limited. The sheep are protected by stout Armco and old established dry stone walls. However they do not always seek out this protection, especially in the lambing season. Circuit users must fend for themselves. There is a strict speed limit of 50mph when marshalls or the safety car are on the track.

Service and paddock areas are thoughtfully provided at the Cat and Fiddle Inn at the highest point on the track and Tesco's at Macclesfield.

Safety, scrutineering and marshalling services are contracted out to Cheshire Constabulary. Again, these services are free to participants unless they are caught breaking the rules. The safety car is easily identified as a yellow and blue checked Volvo T5 Estate. Marshalls normally wear high visibility jackets and white helmets and patrol the course on similarly coloured Pan Europeans or BMWs. Unfortunately budget cuts mean that some marshall's bikes have not yet been painted and their high viz jackets have not arrived. You should still be able to identify them by their white helmets, dark clothing and upright posture.

From time to time Cheshire Constabulary also provides pace cars to verify contstants skill levels are suitable for the circuit. These are always unmarked but high performance vehicles such as BMW 330 saloons. Check for the multiple radio aerials.

Media services are provided by the circuit's purpose equipped aeroplane which is capable of low speed flight over the track for extended periods. Live reports and high quality video coverage are passed to Race Control and edited highlights can be replayed later.

New riders are warned that, like its sister circuit the Nurburgring, the Cat and Fiddle is open to all vehicles. Apart from other bike and car racers you may encounter caravans, tractors, quarry lorries and Hyundai Effluents.

On arrival at the track you should carry out normal pre-race checks before making a sighting lap. The sighting lap will let you check that the track is clear of obstructions such as oil, mud or animals; establish the location of marshalls, the safety car and any pace cars; and warm up your tyres.

More detailed information about track layout can be found here:
http://www.derekmobbs.com/CatAndFiddle/index.asp

Race Contol's website is here:
http://www.cheshire.police.uk/showcontent.php?pageid=76
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Speed cameras are now reported to be in evidence on the B500. I rode that route back in 2016 with the Mrs on the back of my touring bike. She was concerned that I might attack it as though I was on my R1 but there were few opportunities to go too quickly due to the amount of coaches & roadworks on that route.

I've since found out that there are some roads that're just as good that run almost parrallel to the B500 that're not as severely policed.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk