1990 FZR 1000 starting fault/fuelling ?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

1990 FZR 1000 starting fault/fuelling ?

Post by phfzr »

Can anyone assist with a starting fault ?

I have a '90 3GM FZR1000

It starts fine on choke (fuel is low so reserve switch is selected), it will idle on choke and as soon as you crank the throttle, it dies
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

I should have added that the Exup solenoid does not appear to prime when ignition is powered.

I can hear the fuel pump priming though
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

If the bike has been stood for a while I'd start by checking the air filter and empty the tank before refilling with Shell V-power.
Seems like you have a spark, so if this doesn't fix it I'd do a carb service.
Nuggit will probably along to help you do that.
Keep on keepin' on.
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

thanks for responses

I'm thinking is it the digital ignitor box, as it appears ignition. As soon as it sees throttle input, cuts dead. Do the bikes have a throttle switch ?

The cars were fully serviced about a Year ago, I know how the fuel can contaminate, but before I rip them off the bike, just thinking its some kind of electronic issue

Will the bike run/idle if the ignitor box fails ?
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

phfzr wrote:thanks for responses

I'm thinking is it the digital ignitor box, as it appears ignition. As soon as it sees throttle input, cuts dead. Do the bikes have a throttle switch ?

The cars were fully serviced about a Year ago, I know how the fuel can contaminate, but before I rip them off the bike, just thinking its some kind of electronic issue

The FZR1000s dont have throttle switches or TPS so the ignitor cannot see throttle position.

id be surprised if the bike would run at all with a duff ignitor - it isnt a complex item by most ecu standards.

if the bike has been stood then it might be that orifices for idle jet have stayed clear but the orifices [float jet?] have gummed up hence why it idles but wont throttle.

If you think it is ignition then replace plugs first before you go more expensive/more complex - plugs dont like getting repeated rich mixtures on them that isnt cleared off by riding. start with the simple stuff, not the complicated.
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

pilninggas wrote:
phfzr wrote:thanks for responses

The FZR1000s dont have throttle switches or TPS so the ignitor cannot see throttle position.

id be surprised if the bike would run at all with a duff ignitor - it isnt a complex item by most ecu standards.

if the bike has been stood then it might be that orifices for idle jet have stayed clear but the orifices [float jet?] have gummed up hence why it idles but wont throttle.

If you think it is ignition then replace plugs first before you go more expensive/more complex - plugs dont like getting repeated rich mixtures on them that isnt cleared off by riding. start with the simple stuff, not the complicated.
thats good information, guess I have to remove the carbs

will keep everyone updated, but will be a few weeks before I get to it
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If it's been stood with fuel in the carbs I'd bet it's the pilot circuit that's blocked
When I used to leave mine stood over winter prior to using fuel stabilizer it wouldn't pick up on revs from tickover. I'd have to blip the hell out of it and it'd fart n back fire til the revs started to pick up. Few minutes later it would tick over ok but low down acceleration or a regular tickover was impossible
We cleaned the carbs to a full strip with the help of Nuggitt and Roadrunner and it was sorted 👍
AKA Bald headed b'stard
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

I've removed the carbs - is there a recommended service in the UK for working through them carefully ?. I'm in Chester NW, if there is anyone local
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

thanks nuggit - perfect

all parts ordered, so await their arrival !
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

While you're ordering....

Get yourself one of these. It saves all the hassle of having to faff about with the stop valve under the tank etc. All you have to do if you want to remove the tank is turn it off and remove the left clip and pull the pipe off the fitting. Job done. It also comes in handy when/if you take the bike off the road in the winter. Turn the stop off and run the bike till all the float bowls are empty and it helps to stop the old fuel gumming up all the jets while its stood idle for months.

PET COCK

You'll need 2 clips for it. I'll have a look in the garage later to see if I have any spare.

I'll send you a photo of mine when I dig it out

Here you are.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've found two clips so you're sorted for that job. :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Teego

Post by Teego »

nuggitt wrote:
Get yourself one of these. It saves all the hassle of having to faff about with the stop valve under the tank etc. All you have to do if you want to remove the tank is turn it off and remove the left clip and pull the pipe off the fitting. Job done. It also comes in handy when/if you take the bike off the road in the winter. Turn the stop off and run the bike till all the float bowls are empty and it helps to stop the old fuel gumming up all the jets while its stood idle for months.
That's a great mod John. So simple with lateral thinking. Wish I had that on my Euroblasts. Middle of nowhere. Lift tank. Detach cowl. Find screwdriver. Close valve. Sort whatever. Lower tank. Replace screwdiver. Fit cowl. Fire up. Off we go. Phut Phut. Detach cowl. Find screwdriver. Lift tank. Open valve. Lower tank. Replace screwdriver. Fit cowl. Cough, cough, cough, Roar.
Where's everyone gone? Oh FFS.
Keep on keepin' on.
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

package received today from Nuggit, thank you - what a community spirit !
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by phfzr »

just to update this thread, I stripped the carbs and as Stig suggested, pilot jets blocked solid

I've managed to strip everything down, but could not get the pilot air jets out, was worried about breaking the tangs, they are pretty tight

Any hints/tips for removal, I've sprayed some lube in there and will let them soak

are jets still available to buy new ?, a couple of them look like they had historic damage, and while its all apart, could replace....
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

There's a link on the left side of the main site homepage for Allens Performance. Give them a call. They are Mikini agents so may be able to help. These are the folks who previously supplied the goods for the group buys
AKA Bald headed b'stard