Repair/Restoration Questions (Photo Request)

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Fork Rebuilding - Inverted Forks

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,
I'm about to ATTEMPT to rebuild the forks on my FZR. I've rebuilt forks dozens of times on bikes with conventional forks tubes. This will be my first inverted fork rebuild and these are obviously much more complicated and modern than my other machines.

The service manual and repair manual I have indicate several specialty tools are required? Can this be done with some ingenuity and a very large selection of high-quality conventional tools or are the Yamaha factory tools required.

As you can see, the dust seals are junk. I am certain these have never been serviced so the oil must be changed and I have replacement oil seals as well.

Thoughts?
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

PM sent. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thank you NUGGITT & Thanks to all that are helping here!

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,
I think I know know what you mean by "It's a LOVE THING". After a large quantity of work today, I was to take a real ripping ride on the FZR. I AM IN LOVE! This machine still stumbles a little coming out of the low RPMS due to the bad needles (not yet replaced), but this thing is a monster. It's HOOLIGAN loud but that will hopefully be resolved soon.....

Today's Work:

Thanks to NUGGITT providing instructions he saved from another member, I was able to fairly quickly remove & replace the dust seals, oils seals, and the fork oil without minimal aggravation or pain! Thank You!

Against my better judgement, I did hoist the machine on the aftermarket exhaust. I have an idea on how to lift this thing and hold it securely I will share at a later date....

The forks each came apart quite easily and I might even say this was easier than a conventional fork!

Adding some high quality fork oil is aided by a baby bottle I use just for this purpose (no my grand babies won't be drinking from this). I find the small size and CC markings make these a great tool for a bike shop.

While I had the wheel off I had to paint the crusty front rim. Took my time on the rear and did it days before the tire arrived. I should have done this earlier before the new tire was installed but I was in a rush to ride.....Tape-off of the new Pirelli was a task. Done far out in the front lawn to avoid over spray on the other toys.
I wish I would have been able to use a high-quality PPG or professional auto paint but i had no white in stock and there wasn't the ability to get to the auto paint store. I have all the tools and paint my own bikes and cars... Today I had to use what we call the "RATTLE CAN" method. Hopefully, it will stand the test of time.

All put back together and test driven..... Darn I love this thing!!!!

If I can keep this pace of work going, this machine will have no problem making it to our VINTAGE YAMAHA RALLY at the end of September (posted in the events section here).

Thanks again.....
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm glad it came in handy, I knew it would one day. We're all here to help and spread the luuurv so keep spreading the luuurv boys.

I'm going out today spreading the love, I'm taking my darling ( the fzr) to Malham in the Yorks Dales and hope to have lunch at the Beck Hall tea rooms. Sorry Teego but I feel the need for food.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Hi Kurt, Lovely Exup it really is turning out nice. Well done bruv.
:D
But it is hoisted right next to one of my favourite cars, it looks like a 73 Trans Am with oem snowflakes. Like my mate Tim had about 30yrs ago, he moved to the island of Jersey and it was bought on the spot by a local.
Speed limit on the tiny island then was 10mph in places and the hood was on the wrong side of the road when pulling out of junctions ha ha, just a massive bonnet. We scoured the country for a Bullnose front end and Quadrijet. Please take a wider pic for us.
Regards OGRI.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

OFF TOPIC - Pontiac Trans Am

Post by kboehringer »

OGRI wrote: But it is hoisted right next to one of my favourite cars, it looks like a 73 Trans Am with oem snowflakes...... SNIP....... OGRI.
ORGI,
Thank you for the compliments on the FZR and the car.

The Trans Am is actually a '78, although it does have a '73 455 (7.5 Liter) engine installed.
Much like the bikes I drag home, this was a pile of POOP when I acquired it. I'm having some minor difficulties with the Transmission and haven't gotten around to fixing it. The horse power and low end torque of the 455 is brutal on the transmission. That last 100' burnout didn't do it much good either! :crybaby:

Here's some better photos:

I have the hood decal (we refer to as the "Screaming Chicken") but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet.... There are several custom touches but most would be unaware unless they are avid Pontiac enthusiasts....

Thanks again,
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Its a gorgeous shovelnose Kurt, great colour, you must be so pleased to own an American Icon, thanks for the fine pics.
I understand why you put a pre emissions 73 in it and a 455 no less, boy thats a monster.
Tim never stopped talking about getting a Muncie Toploader, with the auto trans though he could, hold the front wheels on the brake and spin both rears, until he had completely covered the whole street in black tyre smoke and tiny bits of rubber floating in the air, ha ha how we laughed. :unibrow:
Will have to start calling you Jim Rockford, I can hear the music playing now.
The screaming chicken is also an icon, it takes me back many years, though your Blue Yank Tank is so nice it doesn`t really need it.
My other favourite is "Sneaky Pete" do you know him, he is your Dodge rival, but another great Icon and great logo. Thanks.
Regards OGRI.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

More Missing Parts Acquired..... Installed...

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,
Today I received a couple more small items that were missing. These little covers appear to be totally cosmetic to hide the portions of aluminum frame (motor mounts) from showing through the side vent.

I still have to drill out three broken screws that retain these but that should be pretty quick & easy.

I'm also missing these......
I've found a set on Evil-Bay for about $20 and will purchase promptly. I believe these are much more a functional item I ASSUME helps keep the air flowing through the radiator rather than around it?

Again, another PO's (Previous Owner) problems to fix.... I'm guessing these are likely a pain in the butt if you pull covers often but if one can get the machine working properly cover removal should be infrequent. So, the PO just tossed 'em.... :mad:

Time to go drill out the broken bolts and re-tap....
Fun Fun Fun.... :(
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

A man of your experience will already know this but in case you don't Here's a few photos of where they fit. :D :thumbsup:

kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thank You / Update / Plans / Additional Photo Request

Post by kboehringer »

nuggitt wrote:A man of your experience will already know this but in case you don't Here's a few photos of where they fit.
Thank you Nuggitt, I ASSUMED these rubber guards were mounted more to direct air around the radiator not around the edges of the motor as shown. I GUESS Yamaha was trying to get the air out the side vents after passing through the radiator. Thank you for the photos.... I've found a couple sets of these on Evil-Bay but have not yet purchased a set as they all look to be very beat up.

RE:Frame Covers.

I have the frame covers installed and they do make a slight appearance improvement.

RE: Water Pump Rebuild
I may have mentioned it (not sure), I purchased a used water pump and an aftermarket (Caltric) seal kit. The aftermarket seal kit was inferior and too large to allow the shaft retaining clip to engage. I tossed that kit to the side an purchased OEM Yamaha parts. No problem at all. Pump is ready for install. Based on the poor quality of coolant found in this machine I suspect the water pump may be in poor condition. I've seen the bike run a little warm and will replace the pump as soon as possible......AVOID THE AFTERMARKET MECHANICAL SEAL KIT. OEM Yamaha was basically the same price anyway!
RE: Carb Needles
I've ordered the Stage 1.0 kit from Factory Pro. Initially, I tried Jets-R-Us a company I have used several times for other machines but they have nothing for the FZR. Marc at FactoryPro is a great communicator and very knowledgeable. THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!!! Parts are on the way!!!!

RE: ExUp Exhaust.........Help Needed!
I've been searching daily for an OEM exhaust muffler. All I can find is overpriced Junk. I am anxious to get the ExUp back in service AND get this machine quieter! I don't want to be a "HOOLIGAN" :D

I also want to have this machine ready for our Annual Vintage Yamaha Rally at the end of September and this is the last BIG item to complete.

I'm likely to purchase this....

EXHAUST MUFFLER

This company offers the muffler shown in various lengths.... WHAT IS THE LENGTH OF THE OEM MUFFLER? I would like it to look as similar as possible to the OEM.

I believe I am missing a couple of brackets for mounting of the OEM exhaust system. There are also missing fasteners/brackets for the lower fairings that I ASSUME are somehow inter-related to the OEM exhaust?

The parts drawings are of little use as they are all broken up into segments based on category. Are there brackets under the machine for support of the ExUP exhaust? Are they in some way related to the missing attachment points for my lower fairings?

I know there are some subtle differences year-to-year but assume since the Part number for the ExUp header and the motor external was not changed throughout the years all the brackets SHOULD BE (?) the same... Photos of this area would be appreciated.
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

This is the std header for all years 89-95. They're all the same
I have a spare bracket you can have for postage if needed

AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Take note. :nod:

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

AKA Bald headed b'stard
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Wow! This looks like a great one!

Post by kboehringer »

THANK YOU STIG! That is the best one I've seen anywhere and the price is good too.

I sent a message to the seller that I would like to buy the can. Hopefully, that seller will be willing to send it across the pond.
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis