Thank you for the addition..... GEORGIA - U.S.A.

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thank you for the addition..... GEORGIA - U.S.A. Continued.

Post by kboehringer »

Everyone loves photos...... Here are some more...

Here is what I found inside the carbs after sitting for YEARS with fuel in them.

Fuel level sensor was badly damaged sitting in fuel for so long (new unit beside).

Previous owner (we refer to as the dreaded PO) got a bit creative with the red paint shown here.

I've returned this to what I believe is the OEM coloring.

More to come.....
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome in Kurt and boy that's some list you've got through. I've never seen carbs in that condition ever. She's starting to look in better shape already. Keep the photos coming. :nod: :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thank you for the addition..... GEORGIA - U.S.A. Continued.

Post by kboehringer »

more photos for my new friends across the pond.

Rear Brake Pads had worn out and have severely damaged the rear rotor (old vs. new) shown.
I've ordered a replacement rotor.....

JUST FOR FUN.... These are my OTHER bikes sitting on my front lawn.

1970 Honda Trail 70 (My only non-Yamaha).

2016 Yamaha FJR 1300

1982 Yamaha SECA 650
(photo taken before it was 100% done)
This SECA won BEST IN SHOW at a 100+ Vintage Yamaha Rally.

1981 Yamaha MAXIM 550 (Teaching my wife to ride on this)

1981 Yamaha XS 1100 Special (Heavily Modified)

1980 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Customized)

1980 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Customized)

1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Work in progress _ now on hold for work on the FZR!!!!)

1992 Yamaha FZR 1000!!!!!!
My newest Project!!!
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thanks nuggitt

Post by kboehringer »

nuggitt wrote:Welcome in Kurt :thumbsup:
Thank You nuggitt

Here are a couple YOUTUBE videos of the machine from a week or so back.

https://youtu.be/Laeagc_4gAs

https://youtu.be/GoAfW772I3M

I did not have the tank repairs completed so I was using an old lawn mower tank I normally use only for tuning carbs.
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

All the bikes on what you have on your lawn is what we call a bike shop in England. :lol:

I haven't seen one of those xs1100 in years and then four come along all in one day. You've got some nice heavy metal there Kurt.

As for the Honda shame on you. :thumbsdown: :lol:

I've seen the videos and you're nothing but an hooligan, and I bet the neighbours just love you. :lol: :lol:

She sounds sweet with that can on. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Beautiful, and sod the neighbours right Nuggitt :nod:
The green XS is a peach and takes me back to memories long forgotten of the 750 version in silver.
More pics are necessary without doubt.
OMG those carbs and your crappy methanol, what happened next ????
OGRI
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by kboehringer »

OGRI wrote:Beautiful, and sod the neighbours right Nuggitt :nod:
The green XS is a peach and takes me back to memories long forgotten of the 750 version in silver.
More pics are necessary without doubt.
OMG those carbs and your crappy methanol, what happened next ????
OGRI
OGRI,
Thanks for the compliments on the GREEN one. We call that one "UGLY DUCKLING" and I will post a photo of that one from the day I purchased it. It was in fact in very bad shape. I paid $300 but have about $2500 spent on it in total ( not sure what that is in your terms). That machine runs like a champ and is incredibly fun.

I believe you are correct that the crappy fuel played a part in the carb and tank damage. I am located close to the city of Atlanta and all of our gas is 10% ethanol. This fuel has a very limited life expectancy and will eat all BUNA seals quickly. Very bad for older machines.

The carbs on the FZR has a large amount of pitting and damage inside. Fortunately none of the ugliness of the damage has an effect on performance. EXCEPT, the tips of two of the slide needles were rotted off slightly. I still need to replace those. This rotted off tips is certainly causing a rich condition at low speed and the mid-range transition. I need to get those replaced. Everything else cleaned up well.

Kurt
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Yes I`ve read about the USA ethanol problem, but boy I didn`t realise it could go that far.
Who calls it the ugly duckling, they must be paid up members of the Stevie Wonder fan club.
Hey so glad to see you bought the Honda for the wife, top man as we say over here.
As for your needles, there is a company in Cali that makes them in titanium.
I will dig the address out for you, they were about $120 a set and if you want to go the whole hog, they offer extra hard nickel plated tubes to match.
OGRI
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Isn't it great to get fettling?
Those pix of your carbs should induce a certain rectal tightness for Stig. His bike has been sitting in his smart garage for years.

Once again we can enjoy the international brotherhood of Exups.
Keep on keepin' on.
Teego

Post by Teego »

OGRI wrote:Yes I`ve read about the USA ethanol problem, but boy I didn`t realise it could go that far.
Who calls it the ugly duckling, they must be paid up members of the Stevie Wonder fan club.
Hey so glad to see you bought the Honda for the wife, top man as we say over here.
As for your needles, there is a company in Cali that makes them in titanium.
I will dig the address out for you, they were about $120 a set and if you want to go the whole hog, they offer extra hard nickel plated tubes to match.
OGRI
Factory Pro do stainless steel tubes. I liked them.
Keep on keepin' on.
two-stroke-brit
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by two-stroke-brit »

I like the 650 Seca ,
what are they like to live with.?
nice collection.
cheers mark
IT MAY BE ROUGH LOOKING BUT ITS A FUN RIDE
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

About the SECA.....

Post by kboehringer »

two-stroke-brit wrote:I like the 650 Seca ,
what are they like to live with.?
nice collection.
cheers mark
Thank you Mark.
The SECA is a real rarity here in the U.S.A. Although the 550 & 750 versions were available for several years here the 650 was a one year only 1982 here. VERY RARE! I had one as a younger man and when I saw this one I had to buy it. I traveled over 300 miles to get it!

Again another bike needing a great deal of work much like my FZR 1000 but it is my intention to bring the FZR to this quality of restoration. The 650 required a complete engine disassembly to repair the starter clutch deep within the motor.

The 650 has a very SNAPPY throttle response, handles very well in the corners, and will put a real smile on one's face with very fast pickup. In my opinion it is a little small for our interstate highways where 70mph (~110km/hr?) is typical. She's a little light when moving at those speeds with large trucks and etc. sharing the road. Likely the best 650 of it's type/style made at that time.

This is a more current photo with the machine completed.
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

How the Ugly Duckling got her name....

Post by kboehringer »

OGRI wrote: Who calls it the ugly duckling, they must be paid up members of the Stevie Wonder fan club.
OGRI
OGRI,
Thank you so much for your compliments on this machine. You must see (photo) how she looked when I had to drag this one home. I believe it was my wife that said "That is one UGLY DUCKLING", and the name has stuck with it ever since.

This was my first attempt to rebuild a vintage bike in such poor condition. Now I think I can do just about anything (the other bikes were similar (or worse). Again, I am anxious to make my FZR look like new.

Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Today's Postal Deliveries.....

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,

As stated, I want to RESTORE this machine to factory condition. The dreaded PO (previous owner) removed the ExUP exhaust and installed an aftermarket exhaust. I was able to find a header pipe in our northern state of Minnesota for what is an exceptional price ($73 [57.73 pounds sterling?] ). The header is completed with the bracket and cover. However, it has two broken bolts which I am currently soaking in a very good penetrating oil (Aero-Kroil). These will be an easy fix.

I am having no luck finding an OEM silencer muffler that is in good shape. Anyone have one for sale?

I would like the exhaust stock to avoid being called a "Hooligan"by my neighbors!! :D :D :D :D

I also received a new fuel pump. I am unsure of the real condition of the old pump and would prefer a new one before I start riding any distance. This bike would not be fun to push home :crybaby:

Yesterday, I upgraded the bulbs in the tail lamp to LED 1157. I think they look great and are definitely a safety improvement.

You can see my personal "Bike Shop" in the background.... :)
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Heat the area around the Exup bolts til it glows then turn the bolts out with mole grips if enough stud left. I do it regularly on these headers when I refurbish them. Don't have to drill many out
AKA Bald headed b'stard