Bike ready for road but something bent?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
idlesteve
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Bike ready for road but something bent?

Post by idlesteve »

Finished the budget cheap bike. New caliper seals, fork seals, new front tyre, all fluids etc. Serviced the Exup valve (but looked fine when I removed it).
Engine runs very sweet.

However, something is not right with the front end, I think the bottom yoke might be bent :retard:

The axle bolt was bent (managed to get it reasonably straight by placing in the lathe chuck and giving it a tap) looking for a good one if anyone has a spare.

The other problem is the distance between the discs and the fork legs, when the axle is tightened up the wheel twists slightly meaning there is about 3mm difference between each disc and leg (I wondered why the old pads were worn tapered when I took them out).

I took her for a spin up the road and noticed when in a straight line the top yoke is not straight (although the bike rides fine).

The fork tubes are straight (I checked this when replacing the seals by rolling them on the worktop) but only noticed things were not right when everything was bolted up.

The rear edge of the front mudguard is closer to the wheel on one side than the other.

I thought it had been down the road at some point as the fairing frame is a bit wonky.

What does everyone think? Try swapping yokes first?

Steve.
Yamaha FZR1000 Exup 1989
Honda 400-4 1978
Honda CB750FD 1985
Honda VFR400 1992
Honda MB50 1982
Honda MT50 1981
Honda MBX50 1984
Honda MBX80LC 1885
Honda C90 1976
Gilera 50 Enduro 1979
And some others in bits somewhere!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If you slacken the fork clamp bolts off can you twist it straight then nip things up?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Stig wrote:If you slacken the fork clamp bolts off can you twist it straight then nip things up?
My method is slacken bottom clamp bolts. Hold front wheel straight ahead between your knees. Move handlebars side to side a few times using sharp movements. Check all is good and tighten clamp bolts.
Of course this won't work if your yokes or headstock are damaged.
Keep on keepin' on.
idlesteve
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by idlesteve »

Just been and had a go (plus point having an attached heated garage and the wife is out with her mates)!
looks a little better but won't know for sure until I go for a spin.
The back of the front mudguard is still out and the wheel still has uneven gaps (this could be due to the spindle not being perfectly straight). What worry's me is the force needed to bend the wheel spindle in the first place :(
Yamaha FZR1000 Exup 1989
Honda 400-4 1978
Honda CB750FD 1985
Honda VFR400 1992
Honda MB50 1982
Honda MT50 1981
Honda MBX50 1984
Honda MBX80LC 1885
Honda C90 1976
Gilera 50 Enduro 1979
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

that would worry me too steve, it might of had a front end whack and has been rebuilt with new forks only to make it look ok to the eye, if the axle is bent then the yolks headstock and frame maybe junk, take the tank off and look for creases in the frame spars at the headstock
Teego

Post by Teego »

yzfpaul wrote:that would worry me too steve, it might of had a front end whack and has been rebuilt with new forks only to make it look ok to the eye, if the axle is bent then the yolks headstock and frame maybe junk, take the tank off and look for creases in the frame spars at the headstock
You need a new axle for starters. I'm guessing a slight misalignment would be magnified as you head north through the brakes to the yokes. It's not an area that you can bodge.
Keep on keepin' on.
Should know better
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Should know better »

I have a spindle from a FZR 750/1000 Genesis which may or not fit also a set of fork clamps (well the whole triple tree) from the same bike. Let us know if you could use them.

Cheers.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Forks are narrower diameter on the Genesis so won't fit
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

I had this with my first Fazer 1000. Bottom yoke was bent which was easy enough to find once I took it off & placed it on a flat surface. Unfortunately for me a straight one still didn't solve the problem as the head stock was also bent! :crybaby:
Broke the bike for spares & bought another.
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Just found these on eBay. Any good to you?

FZR1000 front end

Cheap at the moment because he's just put them on. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
matzxr
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by matzxr »

Is the wheel spacer correct ?
idlesteve
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by idlesteve »

nuggitt wrote:Just found these on eBay. Any good to you?

FZR1000 front end

Cheap at the moment because he's just put them on. :nod:
Sorry, not been on for a while.
Didn't miss them, I bought them :)
Yamaha FZR1000 Exup 1989
Honda 400-4 1978
Honda CB750FD 1985
Honda VFR400 1992
Honda MB50 1982
Honda MT50 1981
Honda MBX50 1984
Honda MBX80LC 1885
Honda C90 1976
Gilera 50 Enduro 1979
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Good lad.

My thinking was if you bought them you could bang them in and give it a try to see if the problem you have disappears. Well now you've got em no doubt you'll let us know how it goes, and fingers crossed. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.