Fuel stabilizer

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Fuel stabilizer

Post by jas328sport »

Anyone got any recommendations for fuel stabilisers. I normally just lock it up over winter without caring but have spent so much time and money getting her running spot on this year that I don't want to be pulling it all apart again next year.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Why not just drain the tank and run the motor till the carbs run dry?
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well I suppose you could drain the tank but that didn't work for my daughter. She left her kawasaki gpz 250 with a third of a tank and when she wanted to start it up 6 months later the inside of the tank had rusted up something shocking. :eek:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Cheers nuggitt that looks just the job. Draining the tank would be a bit of a faff for me at the moment as the bike is stored in a garage away from where I am living and without tools etc.
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

nuggitt wrote: with a third of a tank and when she wanted to start it up 6 months later the inside of the tank had rusted up something shocking. :eek:
If you're going to leave it for some time, fill it to the brim with something like Shell V power and add stabilizer, otherwise condensation and then rust forms on the inside parts of the tank that aint filled with petrol. I always start my bikes at least every 6-8 weeks and give the suspension a bump back and forth which sloshes the fuel around, besides keeping the fork seals lubed.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.