Thunderace Exhaust

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
MarkBP
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Thunderace Exhaust

Post by MarkBP »

So I've finally got around to taking the exhaust off the bike to assess it's, who am I kidding!!, so that I can replace it. There, said it!! The whole system from the downpipes, into the exup valve and then out to where the can bolts onto is all welded together as 1 system. Is that standard, meaning that I will need to replace it all and get a new exup valve and housing ? Probably for the best that I do as it kept sticking anyway, and will also want new cables either way. So, does anyone have any/all of these bits that I need ? And perhaps one of you Mods (knowledge merchants) could give me an idea of how much it's going to cost for it all.... Thanks All
I'm closing in on that age when you can nolonger Trust your Farts !!
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

It is a one piece system from the headers all the way to the can. I've had mine welded twice in the 8 years I've had it.

I bought bare cables from Venhill, to repair both my knackered exup cables. The Venhill ones are stainless steel too so wont rust away.

I also reamed out the bushings that the exup flap rotates on. I don't remember the exact size, it was many years ago now. Not loads but I used a hand reamer and only took a gnats cock out. Never seized since, not joking.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The bushings have a 10mm clearance hole. As long as the valve shafts are straight and aligned there shouldn't be any need to ream
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Stig wrote:The bushings have a 10mm clearance hole. As long as the valve shafts are straight and aligned there shouldn't be any need to ream
Probably why it was only a gnats cock. I may have only took out the soot and carbon. Alas, it doesn't rattle or seize.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz