The lights are on and we're still open

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

The lights are on and we're still open

Post by Stig »

Been fairly quiet around here for the last few months. I see folk popping in regularly and there's still a lot of unregistered traffic

What's everyone up to

Personally I'm still trying to resurrect the Twincam as well as other smaller side projects. Sadly the bike is still taking the back burner til I have a bit more time And enthusiasm to do something with it
Need to keep battling on before winter gets the better of me where I can't do anything coz of my hands in the cold temperatures. 2 very small patches to fabricate and weld in n that's the metalwork completed. Just the under seal to remove then to paint the underneath. Once that's done I can start reassembly
Last edited by Stig on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

I've been thinking about this recently. If you look at the top 50 posters, most joined in the early days and seem to have moved on. 13 years is a long time. About 35% of members have never posted.

Also, the bikes are a lot older and many have probably disappeared. They are not mainstream any more and the owner base has aged - maybe to the point that many have stopped riding (OK I'll put my hand up).

I fear that the activity level will decline further without new members.
Keep on keepin' on.
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Still here and try and add my 2 cents if i can!
Only been using the bike for commuting to work and back, so no great outings to speak of.
Lack of time seems to be the biggest factor for me.
Weekends mostly revolve around the kids activities and when i do get a free one its for catching up with jobs around the house.

I wonder if farce book has diverted folk away from forums?
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
Teego

Post by Teego »

Fatdog wrote: I wonder if farce book has diverted folk away from forums?
Good point. FB etc weren't around when we started. So I suppose that, like the bikes, our forum is old tech.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I trawl FB on some of the Exup related site. Although there is activity it's not vast. FB has access to more nationalities with its built in translate but it's still not busy like this place used to be. Usual topics are mainly directed towards problem solving

As Chris says folk have aged and the demographic has either stopped/slowed down their riding plus life gets in the way in many instances
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

I have not been on this plus the other forums I use regularly, moving house, virgin screwing up internet connection plus I wanted to be posting pics of my FZR at Brands again - gear linkage came loose on sighting laps and I lost the connection tube somewhere.... shared my lads MT-07 for the day instead.

I use the MT-07 owners club FB page (as that is the main comms place for them) but I find it not as good as the forum approach with the different sections for projects etc - at times it can be a wall of repetitive noise as the same questions are asked over and over.

Have followed up with the carbon chain guard manufacture - again, awaiting a response as a revised one is currently being made (allegedly)

And finally I intend pulling the various bits of two bikes I have just shifted from one address to another back into one decent example - potentially a project thread if I decide to mod from standard
Teego

Post by Teego »

Here's a project. Find Stig's bike. All gather at his place one Sunday. All tools allowed: metal detectors, pitchforks, ferrets, JCBs - you name it.
We could get Nottingham University department of Archaeology to supervise and verify any discoveries.
Keep on keepin' on.
Teego

Post by Teego »

So it seems bikes are on the back burner as people have plenty else to do.That's fair enough. We shouldn't be defined by just one obsession. So here is my current obssession but cant upload pix.
CLS55 AMG, V8 Kompressor, 493bhp, 700nm torque, 186mph limit.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Fear not I know exactly where my bike is at present

As I went to the Lincoln meet it's since been stored under a cover at the side of the Twincam..... with my fishing tackle thrown on top
As soon as I finish the TC bodywork I intend to have a reshuffle in the garage so can't yet put things away. Might involve moving the 1.5 ton lathe which will be fun, plus all associated electric supplies etc
AKA Bald headed b'stard
mobil1
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by mobil1 »

I'm guilty of popping in, nosing about n buggering off Im ashamed to say.

The old Exup is in for a major engine strip as soon as I can get into doing.
I'm swapping bottom ends as the engine in the bike has a bad knockclonk coming from it.

It also won't go into neutral unless the engine is stopped. It was a replacentment engine about 5 years ago. I still have the original engine which has a smoky top end but a good bottom end.

Apart from the noise the one in the bike has a good top and pulls like bugger.
My other bike isn't helping either. It keeps distracting me
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
Teego

Post by Teego »

mobil1 wrote:I'm guilty of popping in, nosing about n buggering off Im ashamed to say.

The old Exup is in for a major engine strip as soon as I can get into doing.
I'm swapping bottom ends as the engine in the bike has a bad knockclonk coming from it.

It also won't go into neutral unless the engine is stopped. It was a replacentment engine about 5 years ago. I still have the original engine which has a smoky top end but a good bottom end.

Apart from the noise the one in the bike has a good top and pulls like bugger.
My other bike isn't helping either. It keeps distracting me
Don't be ashamed. Any post keeps the forum going.
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Teego. Send me your photos and I'll stick them on for you. I can always down tools for you young man. :lol: You have my email address. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
mobil1

Post by mobil1 »

Here my exup and my distraction
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
Teego

Post by Teego »

nuggitt wrote:Teego. Send me your photos and I'll stick them on for you. I can always down tools for you young man. :lol: You have my email address. :thumbsup:
On their way.
Keep on keepin' on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Here's a couple of photos of Teego's beast (the car that is) :D

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.