Running out of ideas.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I did consider it but when I was reading up on it and watching videos it looked like I would have needed to make up a few tools and tbh I needed it done ASAP as they were leaking really badly and there was oil everywhere. I think as far as something as important as suspension goes then leaving it to the pro's isn't a bad idea.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

What sort of cost are we looking at ?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

No idea yet as I didn't ask as it needed doing whatever really. They are friends though that I have known for 25+ years so I know that they won't rip me off.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Bike is now back together so thought I would go for a ride but it was a pig to start, when it finally did fire up it was only running on 3 cylinders and fuel was pouring out of the overflow :rolleyes:
For fecks sake how many more times am I going to have to pull these carbs off. Would I be right in thinking that 14mm float heights are the absolute max, maybe I would be better off at 13mm.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Finally it looks as if I have cracked it. I took the o-rings off of the float holders so that I could ensure they were fitted flush and set the floats at 13mm and it seems to have cured it. I did a 100 miles on it today and the only time it played up was after a 10 mile motorway session where it started running on 3 cylinders and fuel coming out of the overflow again. As I was still about 30 miles from home then I had to just ignore it and within a few minutes it was working OK again so I guess that a bit of gunk must have momentarily jammed one of the floats open briefly.
For now I am chuffed as it looks like all the effort has been worthwhile and it is running sweet.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

jas328sport wrote:Finally it looks as if I have cracked it. I took the o-rings off of the float holders so that I could ensure they were fitted flush and set the floats at 13mm and it seems to have cured it. I did a 100 miles on it today and the only time it played up was after a 10 mile motorway session where it started running on 3 cylinders and fuel coming out of the overflow again. As I was still about 30 miles from home then I had to just ignore it and within a few minutes it was working OK again so I guess that a bit of gunk must have momentarily jammed one of the floats open briefly.
For now I am chuffed as it looks like all the effort has been worthwhile and it is running sweet.
What a saga!! I thought you were going to chuck it in the canal at one stage. Respect for keeping on keeping on. We're going to have the best summer since 1976, so get out there and ride the **** out of it.
Keep on keepin' on.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Oh I certainly intend on making the most of the summer. I have decided that I am going to put some miles on it and then when winter comes I am going to strip it and restore it, just got to decide on what colour to do it. I had my heart set on a v+m paint scheme but the guy I saw for a quote thought that I ought to put it back to totally stock.
I had thought about getting a new bike but what's the point really as this thing is still a stonking bike to ride and if anything now will only start to rise in value I would imagine.