Front end swap

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Front end swap

Post by pilninggas »

So, pretty happy with my rejuvinated Exup, however the fork seals keep blowing and it isnt anything I am getting wrong. It looks like the bushes are knackered, which is a shame as they cannot be replaced on 94-94 forks and i fitted new stanchions and repainted the lowers.

Unsurprisingly the uppers for 94-95 are no longer produced. Does anyone know if:

Any later forks have the same uppers?

or

Have later forks that will go in without too much agro?

or

what would need for a set of earlier right way up forks (which are better than the foxeye usds anyway)? i assume top and bottom yokes, bar clamps, axle, muddy and the fork themselves?

Does anyone have anything to help me out? Sodding forks keep leaking and it's pissed me off. I can do the usd seals in less than 30 minutes from start to finish now. Need a workable solution, as it's too good to break.
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by krazyneil »

im fairly sure the late 94 /95 forks were the same as yzf750 forks
as for bushes and stations there widely available on ebay if im right

if you want to change back the you would need complete front end, yokes, forks wheel ect and bolts straight in
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Exupfreak did the 750 front end on the 89-90 model. From memory he had to change the stem
AKA Bald headed b'stard
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Fork on the YZF750 are slightly different and have bushes that can be accessed.

As oem are no longer available, i might try some of the 'all balls' seals and see if the better quality makes any difference. If the bushes are the problem, then the play is very small. Took the wheel out earlier and tried feeling for the play, it's negligible if it is there. If 'better' seals dont fix it, then it'll be a swap to an earlier right-way up fork set up.

thanks for the input.