Running out of ideas.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Running out of ideas.

Post by jas328sport »

Has anyone got any more ideas on what I can try to solve the low rev cutting out that I am still getting after about 15mins of riding.
So far I have replaced plugs and coils, inlet rubbers, toobs and cleaned all jets, fuel and air filters and have removed all of the connectors under the tank and sprayed them with contact cleaner. Carbs have also been balanced.
I am convinced it isn't down to valve clearances as it still starts instantly however hot it is. In fact I am not so sure it is even heat related anymore as when balancing the carbs yesterday it got hot enough for the fan to cut in several times and yet it still didn't miss a beat, after I had put it back together I left it running until it was hot before going out on it and it still didn't play up for the first 15mins. When it is playing up the idle is bouncing around and the top end is really noisy where it isn't firing properly but if I just leave it idling then it seems to sort itself out, it only ever plays up when it is being ridden. It isn't spluttering, it is literally cutting out on low revs and small throttle openings, if you try and pull away gently then it is like a bucking bronco until you give it more throttle although for the first 15mins of riding it behaves perfectly.
Anyone got anymore ideas of what I can try next, are there any other electrical components that could cause this issue. [/list]
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

air leak maybe soapy water time?

but I had a similar problem and I ended up cleaning my fuel pump and my fuel lines also cleaned out my tank and the petcock. There was a huge amount of crap in my one
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

redapple wrote:air leak maybe soapy water time?

but I had a similar problem and I ended up cleaning my fuel pump and my fuel lines also cleaned out my tank and the petcock. There was a huge amount of crap in my one
Apart from the inlets, where else could there be an air leak.
I haven't touched the fuel pump, is that easy to clean out. It definitely isn't anything to do with the pet cock as my twisty bit has snapped so I can't turn off the fuel, when I remove the tank and the pipe from the fuel filter then petrol flows really well, a bit too well as it always make a mess while I struggle to block the pipe.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Is there any popping or backfiring when it's not running properly?
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

And have you checked the carb diaphragms for holes?

Just thinking out load here as it looks like you've done the obvious things.

Just rembered my mates exup was randomly running like a bag of shite years ago when I had my first one so we spent a day swapping one thing at a time from mine to his.

Turned out to be the end-can!
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

I had the same problem with the pet cock
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Quick-Re ... Swe2FZ1kXT

This should solve that problem.

disconnect the pump from the carb and put the end in a jar then turn the bike on should see petrol flowing into the jar at a decent rate, if doesn't then your pump might be knackered. Also have a look at the points for the pump might have tarnish on it.

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Absolutely no popping or backfiring.
Diaphragms have been checked and all looked good.
Will test the fuel pump flow and check all of the hoses again.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Thinking about it I suppose if it were ignition related then I guess it would be backfiring.
Just another thought but how is the tank vented as maybe there is a vacuum being created when being ridden and at low revs it is not able to pull enough fuel, then when you stop, after a while it is able to catch up again, i suppose the same could be said of the fuel pump as well.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

jas328sport wrote:Thinking about it I suppose if it were ignition related then I guess it would be backfiring.
Just another thought but how is the tank vented as maybe there is a vacuum being created when being ridden and at low revs it is not able to pull enough fuel, then when you stop, after a while it is able to catch up again, i suppose the same could be said of the fuel pump as well.
IIRC when you lift the seat off you see a vent tube coming from the back of the tank. The rubber tube exits between the motor and swingarm which is a pretty cruddy area. Possible tube blockage or a kink somewhere along the line.
Anyway, costs nothing but your patience to check.
Good luck.
Keep on keepin' on.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Teego wrote:
IIRC when you lift the seat off you see a vent tube coming from the back of the tank. The rubber tube exits between the motor and swingarm which is a pretty cruddy area. Possible tube blockage or a kink somewhere along the line.
Good luck.
I didn't realise that was the only way it was vented, I removed the pipe and that is totally clear when I blow down it, I then undid the tank cap and it took a decent blow down the actual tank outlet before I felt it clear and could then hear the air hissing inside the tank so there was definitely a slight blockage there. I suppose an easy way to rule it out would be to ride it until it starts to play up and then undo the filler cap and see if it improves.
Teego

Post by Teego »

jas328sport wrote:
Teego wrote:
Good luck.
I didn't realise that was the only way it was vented, I removed the pipe and that is totally clear when I blow down it, I then undid the tank cap and it took a decent blow down the actual tank outlet before I felt it clear and could then hear the air hissing inside the tank so there was definitely a slight blockage there. I suppose an easy way to rule it out would be to ride it until it starts to play up and then undo the filler cap and see if it improves.
Yup.
Keep on keepin' on.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Sounds like we're making progress which is good!
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Blocked tank vent would cause bigger problems at high revs due to greater displacement but well worth a look at.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Have you tried temp replacement of "Digital Ignitor" (cdi/ecu) box?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

oldskoolexup wrote:Have you tried temp replacement of "Digital Ignitor" (cdi/ecu) box?
I take it that is the next link in the ignition side of things. I would certainly be happy to try another one if somebody has a spare going cheap or even better one that I could borrow just to rule it out.