Oil Filter Housing

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Oil Filter Housing

Post by redapple »

Hopefully someone can help me,

Messed up badly, was doing an oil/filter change and when putting the filter housing I put a large hairline crack at the front.

Is their anyway to repair it?
- do I have to buy a second hand replacement housing?
- I have seen a few fzr Oil Filter Housing for sale will all models fit?

Thank you for help in advance
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

If I was you I'd by a second hand one off ebay. You'll want one for your model of course and I wouldn't trust getting the cracked one mended. Don't worry I've done the very same myself and when you hear it go crack your heart sinks. :crybaby:
Last edited by nuggitt on Wed May 09, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

thanks nuggit

I will buy one. Yes you describe my feelings in one sentence
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Hello again Dave, Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You did have the locating knob in the slot correct ? Having worked with O rings for breathing apparatus, torque is life savingly important. Too little or too much is disastrous. O rings only work under the correct compression, they kind of "Lift" themselves into position. Too little and they extrude, too much and they deform usually permanently.
No doubt you now know that way too much torque, means the bell housing is toast. Haynes will list the torque spec and did you have the washer on the filter as these can stick and end up in the bin with the filter attached. OGRI.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

you are exactly right right about the torque

The drain bolt is 43Nm and the Filter bolt is 15Nm. I did the drain bolt up went away to clean the filter housing and forgot to change the torque settings and you can guess the rest.

It was a hard pill to swallow and very humbling