Talk to me about toobs

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Talk to me about toobs

Post by jas328sport »

Just got back from a 60 mile ride and what an absolute pig to ride in slow moving traffic when it's hot, anything below 2500 revs and it coughs and splutters and is like a bucking bronco. I stupidly decided to take a trip to the coast and as you can imagine there was loads of slow moving traffic, I must have looked like an idiot having to try and pull away on high revs with loads of clutch slip.
Now I am assuming that I am going to be told that this is likely to be down to worn tubes and needles unless anyone has got another possible cause.
If it is going to be the tubes then where is the cheapest place to get them.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Must admit it def sounds like Toobs. If it ticks over cleanly and bogs down when you roll the throttle at low revs then I'd be at least checking them for wear
If you need them I used to do group buys but the supplier changed the criteria. I do buy enough in one go and can't afford to keep 10 full sets in stock
Try Allens Performance. Their link is on the front page of our main site
AKA Bald headed b'stard
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

mine were supposedly ok 4000 miles ago but it's possible they were just on spec so i intend checking myself in next few weeks.......do you have problems starting when hot or warm?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

No there are no starting problems, when warm it fires straight up.
I am pretty sure my problems are carb related as I can't ever remember it behaving like this years ago when it was used regularly. The first time I noticed a rough running bottom end was a couple of years ago when I got it back on the road after many years of being laid up, I then put it away again and left it until now so I suspect that there are some gummed up carb bits.
I have a ride out next Saturday so don't fancy trying to pull things apart before then in case I can't get it ready in time so I think for now I will fill it with fuel and add a can of carb cleaner in the hope that a long ride with a tank of carb cleaner may help.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

jas328sport wrote:No there are no starting problems, when warm it fires straight up.
I am pretty sure my problems are carb related as I can't ever remember it behaving like this years ago when it was used regularly. The first time I noticed a rough running bottom end was a couple of years ago when I got it back on the road after many years of being laid up, I then put it away again and left it until now so I suspect that there are some gummed up carb bits.
I have a ride out next Saturday so don't fancy trying to pull things apart before then in case I can't get it ready in time so I think for now I will fill it with fuel and add a can of carb cleaner in the hope that a long ride with a tank of carb cleaner may help.
can't see it doing it any harm although if the carbs are seriously blocked, a strip and ultrasonic clean maybe the only option.....please keep us updated ...cheers :)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!