Reserve issue

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Was def fang :nod: Like a lot of other projects I have it saved somewhere as a back up but lost a lot on my main PC when the HD went awol
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'll have another look through tomorrow. :)
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've found that write up by Fang with the video but with photobucket playing silly sods the video wont play.

Scroll down to about half way and look for the wording....

Right, now that I could run the beast without it oozing petrol all over the place I set about trying once and for all to sort out the electronic reserve side of the system.

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewto ... &start=255
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Cheese_butty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Cheese_butty »

oldskoolexup The reserve switch contacts on my RU must have been dirty when I got it as it was playing up......a good dose of switch cleaner solvent seemed to sort it.

I've not looked at how the ignitor circuit works but the switch seems to "force" the fuel pump to continue pressurising fuel ignoring the thermistor circuit in the tank when it becomes uncovered when at a low level.

Have I got that right lads?

On my '89, the fuel level sender, when tripped, causes the ECU to cut ignition to two cylinders, thus simulating fuel-starvation. When moved to 'reserve', it restores the sparks, thus reminding you you've only got x miles left. The fuel tap has only one feed from the tank.