Arghh sodding bike

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Arghh sodding bike

Post by jas328sport »

The bloody thing has only gone and died on me.
I changed the plugs and set the exup valve earlier, started the bike up and all seemed fine, was just letting it idle when a mate pulled up so was having a chat and the engine stopped which I thought was just where the idle was a bit low and it hadn't warmed up properly, I left it for a while whilst chatting and when I went to restart it, it wouldn't turn over. All the lights work fine but there is nothiing from the starter, as I suspected it may be a battery issue I moved the exup valve by hand to see if it had enough power to reset itself when I turn the ignition on but that is also lifeless. I have had the battery on charge for a few hours and still nothing so I don't think its actually battery related after all, anyone got any idea as to what has happened. Is there a fuse or something that would control both the starter and exup valve.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

First of all I'd have a look in the fuse box to see if one has blown. :nod: Also check to see if your live and neutral cables on the battery are tight.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I have sort of found where the problem is, I wiggled the wires going from the kill switch through the frame and it kicked back into life. Must be where I had everything unplugged whilst I was doing the plugs, job for tomorrow is to remove the tank yet again and clean up all of the connectors with contact cleaner.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

I really don't understand why folks have so much trouble with their bikes. I sold my Foxeye with 50k miles and it never had major problems. Original discs, clutch etc.
Had a toob problem about 35k but easily fixed.
I expect my cars to do 200k miles+ so a well cared for bike should be good for 100k.
Keep on keepin' on.
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

My Man it sounds like you are having exactly the same problem I had when converting to a street fighter This happened to me twice. I eventually found that I had to replace the starter relay which is not too expensive and then i had to service the starter motor. This was due to me not waterproofing my connections

First make sure all connections Ground to Frame and connections to starter motor and starter relay are tight and not corroded. Also check your fuses and the fuse carrier are not corroded.
If it still will not start

I don't know if you have a multimeter but set it to 12v dc.
The starter is located behind the battery Box and looks like this

clamp/Screw/touch the negative/Black lead to the negative terminal of the battery.

With the bike turned off

put the red/positive lead on the starter Relay (red cable) connection going to the battery, You should read 12v.

With the bike turned on

Disconnect the fly lead from the starter relay and touch it the negative terminal of the battery. If the bike starts then you have a problem with the starter button connections. If it does not start

put the red/positive lead on the starter Relay (Black Cable) connection going to the going to the starter motor.Disconnect the fly lead from the starter relay and touch it the negative terminal of the battery. You should read 12v.
If not then your starter relay is dead. you will need to replace it

If you have 12v when touching the fly lead, then you have a starter motor problem, check your connection and if it still does not start then you will need to service/replace it

Hope this helps
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

Oh also check you fuel pump connections. you should hear it prime when you turn the key