Reserve issue

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Try a spare pump first. The pump will supply til pressurised. Maybe it's not kicking in
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Funny you should say that Stig.

When I stopped to take some photos and turned the bike off. When I turned it back on again the pump was clicking and didn't shut off. I turned it off and back on again and it stopped clicking. It did this a couple of times on the trip and I put it down to the heat of the day. My ride out yesterday was fine with the pump and no clicking. I have a spare pump so I'll stick that on this week. That's a nice little job seeing as it's going to be shi*te weather this coming week. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Thats a shitter as we supposed to be at the coast this week will :retard: :\ :angry:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Set about today to see what the problem could be with the petrol reserve and guess what I came across? As I was soldering the red wire back on the other wire came off too. So they are both well and truly fixed back on now. I'll try it out when the weather picks up a bit. I'm not sure if this will have sorted it or not??

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

That White block above your fuel pump, some kind of resistor I hear? To do with the reserve system. Neglected to fit (lost) mine after restoring it so now bike only runs on reserve. Switch to "on" position & it runs out of fuel after not very long at all. Yours could be duff or have bad connection?
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

What happens if you don't have the reserve switch fitted as the wires broke off of mine so I just disconnected it, I did try to solder the wires back on but when it was plugged in I couldn't hear anything happening when I operated the switch.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

If you don't have the reserve switch fitted. If you run it and run it then you could run out of petrol without the warning signs of the engine starting to stutter. When you fill up with petrol wind the trip meter on the clocks till you have all zero's. Then when you get to say 100 miles make sure you fill up again.

I'm not sure what you mean by plugged in? You won't hear anything from the switch when you switch it over on to normal running or reserve. I think you're meaning the fuel pump clicking when it's priming the carbs when turning the ignition on.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

nuggitt wrote:Set about today to see what the problem could be with the petrol reserve and guess what I came across? As I was soldering the red wire back on the other wire came off too. So they are both well and truly fixed back on now. I'll try it out when the weather picks up a bit. I'm not sure if this will have sorted it or not??

Just an update to this problem I had. Glad to say after soldering those wires back on properly it is now back to normal.

I don't know why the photo has disappeared?? :retard:
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I wasn't sure whether operating the switch with the ignition on would make anything happen inside the tank which could be heard. Maybe I can get a multimeter on the switch and actually see if my soldering has made it functional again.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

The reserve switch contacts on my RU must have been dirty when I got it as it was playing up......a good dose of switch cleaner solvent seemed to sort it.

I've not looked at how the ignitor circuit works but the switch seems to "force" the fuel pump to continue pressurising fuel ignoring the thermistor circuit in the tank when it becomes uncovered when at a low level.

Have I got that right lads?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I think it was Fang who did a write up about that subject. I'll try and find it when I get home. :nod:

That's you and a few others off the Christmas card list. Insults nothing but insults. :D
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

nuggitt wrote:I think it was Fang who did a write up about that subject. I'll try and find it when I get home. :nod:

That's you and a few others off the Christmas card list. Insults nothing but insults. :D
.....not many folk of your advanced years still riding! :rolleyes:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Mike (roadrunner) is 72 & as mad as a March hare. He's taught me everything he know's. To be honest I've realised he's a bad influence on me. :lol: :lol:
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

I think the thermistor knocks one coil off so you know to flick the switch.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've had a look through the work Fang did on his project but I can't find it. I'm wondering if it was another member. :retard: