Carb leaking Fuel and Low Idle

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Here you are RA.

It gives you a rough idea how to set the float height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_tLykicBY4

I can never remember if their 5mm or 6mm thread.

You can use these or get some brass ones from Morgan carbtune.

WELDING TIPS
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

FZ engine here has 6mm bolts. 1000 Genesis engine is the same so I can't see exup being different.
Genius idea with the welding tips! I would be tempted to drill the hole out in them. 0.8mm seems a bit puny to me?
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Graham Crayon wrote:FZ engine here has 6mm bolts. 1000 Genesis engine is the same so I can't see exup being different.
Genius idea with the welding tips! I would be tempted to drill the hole out in them. 0.8mm seems a bit puny to me?
Yes you can drill a larger hole if needed and I'd put a bit of silicone sealant on the thread (making sure you don't get any in the hole) to help it seal to the manifold better. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nismo
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by nismo »

Did you get it sorted? My old Thunderace had a similar problem, and eventually traced it down to the choke springs being weak, so not closing off properly and letting fuel piss in
Defected for that V Twin goodness
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by redapple »

yes thank you for asking

"I also clamped the float seal down as suggested. I actually think that might be the culprit and the far right carb one was not as tight as the others. But it could have been the float height as well

Put the carb back on the bike and started her up and blipped the throttle a few times and no leaks. I had to set the idle by ear as my tachometer doesn't have numbers on it just a bar. let it run for about 20mins still no leaks.

So I took her out for a spin and she runs well, I will still probably have to balance everything at some stage so its smooth. "